PSA: Have Pulsatile Tinnitus? Have an MRA! Mine Showed Dural Arteriovenous Fistula

Discussion in 'Support' started by lbl752003, Apr 28, 2021.

1. lbl752003

lbl752003 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dural arteriovenous fistula
      I started having ear pain in February, I thought it was an ear infection. I had ice pick headaches and I thought I had just pulled something in my neck or something. Also when I would touch behind my ear it was extremely sore, so I thought maybe that was mastoiditis.

I had a head CT scan which was negative.

April came around and I started having pulsatile tinnitus and finally went to see an ENT. Left ear (where the pain was) was showing a little hearing loss but that maybe came from the pulsatile tinnitus being so loud. The ENT ordered an MRA with contrast due to my pulsatile tinnitus. The MRA showed dural arteriovenous fistula. If it is not taken care, it can cause a brain bleed.

If you are having pulsatile tinnitus, make sure to be seen. A head CT scan does not show your arteries or veins, it will only show a fracture or bleed. Better to be safe than sorry.

2. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Explain more about your situation please, I have been searching for months to figure out mine. So you got an MRI? I was ordered to have one but my hyperacusis is bad so I put it off. You had a dural arteriovenous fistula? Explain more, I have never heard of that type of fistula before.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lbl752003

lbl752003 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dural arteriovenous fistula
      I had an MRA/MRI with contrast. Yes, a dural ateriovenous fistula is my diagnosis. It’s when the veins and arteries get entangled, this can result in a brain bleed of not taken care of. They are going to do an angiogram and then place coils or glue into the veins to close them up.

It’s pretty scary but if you’re having pulsatile tinnitus, definitely go get checked out. This is very rare, it could be many things or nothing for you but I would definitely go get it checked just to be sure.

4. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
    5. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Damn that’s crazy. I hope they get you all fixed up.

When is your surgery? Unless you already had it.