Pulsatile Tinnitus — Now on Tinnitus Talk

Discussion in 'Support' started by Markku, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Tinnitus Talk is still quite a small community and because of that there probably aren't many users with pulsatile tinnitus here yet.

On average about 3% of all tinnitus sufferers experience pulsatile tinnitus.

Sometimes pulsatile tinnitus is referred to as "vascular tinnitus" because often it's related to disturbances in the blood flow.

But one of our newest members contacted me and told their story. It looks like we just got our first member who experiences this phenomenon.

Pulsatile tinnitus is constant just like the usual tinnitus, but the former is perceived as a rhythmic pulsing, swooshing, clicking or other sound that is in sync with the heartbeat.

Even though the 3% seems small, it really isn't when you think about the massive amount of people with tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    2. rogerg

rogerg Member

After exercise I sometimes hear this pumping sound in my ears-it's temporary but could it become permanent? I attribute it to the increased blood flow during and after exercise..

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I get that type of thing more often than not. I thought it was normal. I wouldn't worry but of course do ask your doctor just to make sure.

4. I have had this same thing for 4 years. When the thumping became painful I began my search for the cause. I have had an MRA with nothing conclusive showing. The testing continues next month. Stay tuned. :)

5. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I don't have pulsitile T but I do have an increase in volume and intensity after exercise. It seems the harder and longer I work out the louder and longer it lasts afterward. Really a problem. Keeps me from doing much exercise. It does not seem to be blood pressure related, I've checked it and bp is normal and in the range where it always is. Sometimes after a hard workout it will not come back down for a day or two. Really tics me off.:mad:

6. Allevous

Allevous Member

I've had this swishing tinnitus for years (I wrote an intro post of myself in the intro forum) and I get intermittent ringing..

The swishing keeps time with my heartbeat but the ringing not. Do other "whooshers" get this?

I've never really looked into treatment options... I only recently found out that PT might be treatable.

7. Hi Jonathan, My PT is more of a thump than a whoosh and can get painful. My T is a constant ringing or hissing 24/7 . Not much chance of fixing my T , but I am having my PT checked out . If I can get it fixed I will !! In the meantime I am getting as healthy as I can.

• Like Like x 1
    8. rogerg

rogerg Member

do you have any thoughts what might be behind your pulsatile tinnitus? nerve, vein? what the doctors think?

9. Hi rogerg, I have had PT for 4 years now. I think its veinus but am still trying to find the cause. I know when I took steps to lower my blood pressure and cholestarol the whooshing and thumping became lower :), and less painful.

10. AmyM

AmyM Guest

I appreciate a section dedicated to PT. I've recognized PT in myself for quite some time, and seems to be getting worse with less intermittent silent time.

I did suffer a fairly severe head injury about 8 years ago. My balance has not been the same since.
      I have not seen a doctor for the PT yet but hope to once I acquire better medical insurance.
      I am beginning to look into different causes of PT. I would describe what I experience as an irregular drumbeat, along with the pulse and what sounds like the actual blood water/cell/platelets flowing through arteries (possibly what others describe as whooshing?).

In terms of stress-related, I have been under heightened stress recently, parallel to increase of volume/frequency of tinnitus. Additionally, I have always been slightly anemic and have a fairly severe case of TMJ, since birth.

For the time being, I rely on an air purifier but notice lying on opposite side of bothersome ear tends to ease the pulse...

At times, I can almost feel the sensation as it is so loud, during the daytime.

Any information or suggestions welcome, thanks :)

11. Hi Amy, I have had PT for 4 years and am still trying to find the cause. There are so many different causes that for some of us its a long and difficult road but many have been cured. If you havent found it yet I would like to suggest you check out http://whooshers.com/ I have found a lot of good information there. If your on facebook you can join a few hundred fellow whooshers on the pulsitile tinnitus "whooshers" unite page, lots of good people and support there.
      The best thing I have found to help ease my PT has been getting healthy. I changed my diet , started taking fish oil and B vitamins and reduced stress in my life as much as possable. And dont get discouraged , there is hope. I also have pulsatile tinnitus , chronic tinnitus and hyperacusis possably from multipal head and neck injuries and have balance problems too.
      Feel free to message me and I will try to answer any questions you might have as best I can. Remember your not alone.

12. Nancy

Nancy Member

Do any of you have PT in combination with regular tinnitus? I've had ringing for many years with fluctuating tones, and recently experiencing the pulsating type that is driving me crazy, a new type of torture but worse. But today it's back to the regular tinnitus. Every so often I get the P T back and then it subsides. Have you experienced the changing back and forth?

• Like Like x 1
    13. Charlie_J

Charlie_J Member

Hey all. I have had pulsatile tinnitus for six years or so. I'm about to get all assertive with the health service again, so I'll post what happens here. I've done a lot of research, and have a long list of things that can cause it, the tests needed to determine each, and the treatment necessary.

whooshers.com is a useful link.

I don't think many people can imagine how anxiety and panic inducing it is. It's loud, sometimes so loud you can feel it. Sometimes it's like a siren that will be going off forever. I long for silence, but I've forgotten what it's like. I can press the artery in my neck to make it be quiet if I need to hear something, but I suspect that's not an advisable thing to be doing. Can't help unconsciously favouring that side to keep it a little quieter and straining my neck. And after all, it's your heartbeat. We haven't just lost the silence, we've lost the ability to forget that we're mortal. I think that's the worst bit.

• Like Like x 1
    14. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      hmmm... my high pitch has a rhythm to it. I just tested the sound with my pulse. It does match my pulse and it is steady pulsing... no gaps, and not much differentiation. Is that what you are referring to?

15. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I have been diagnosed with possible vascular tinnitus. Next comes tests. MRi and ultrasound of carotid artery with a cardio work up (whatever that means).

16. Charlie_J

Charlie_J Member

Hey Calin,

Sounds like they are going the right way about treating you. Here are the conditions I have researched that can be cured (meaning the tinnitus will go away):

Absence of Vertebral Artery
      Aneurysm of Dural Venous Sinuses
      Arnold Chiari Malformation and Pseudotumor Cerebri
      Carotid Artery Dissection/Stenosis
      Carotid-Cavernous Sinus Fistula
      Chronic Subclavian Artery Occlusion
      Coarctation of Aorta/Aortic Coarctation
      Dural Arteriovenous Fistula Resulting from a Clot in the Sigmoid Sinus
      Essential Thrombocythemia (ET)
      Glomus Tympanicum
      High Jugular Bulb
      Iatrogenic Pneumocephalus
      Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
      Lyme Disease
      Metastatic Carcinoid Tumor with External Compression of a Vertebral Artery
      Severe Ipsilateral Carotid Stensosis
      Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome/Temporal Bone Defect

Is your tinnitus objective or subjective? Can the doctors hear it when they listen with a stethoscope behind your ear?

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      gosh... he never put a stethoscope there. Don't know.

Those issue listed like like surgical procedure issues. Kinda scary.

I hope they can test for all that with an MRI without the dye. Ain't doing that! lol

That was helpful... I think! lol

18. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi! I've had pulsatile tinnitus since May 2010, after taking (and getting off) blood pressure medication. I also weaned myself off caffeine back in 2010. I have both pulsatile and regular tinnitus, in my right ear only. My tinnitus is very steady; never comes and goes. The pulsating drives me especially crazy at night, when I'm trying to sleep. I can feel the pulsing throughout my body when lying down, and when I get up in the morning my body still feels shaky from lying there all night feeling that awful pulsing sensation.

I would be interested to know how others cope with this condition. I'd also like to know if anyone on this forum has been cured, has found some relief, or has seen the pulsing subside at all?

19. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, haven't heard from anyone else on this thread, so I guess there are many others like me who haven't yet found a cure and are trying to cope. I have unilaterial tinnitus/pulsatile tinnitus (right ear only). I've had an MRI with contrast, a CT scan, carotid artery scan, and several audiological exams, and nothing was found. The only doctor who thought he might be able to help me (a neurotologist) wanted to perform a stapedectomy, since I have some conductive hearing loss. I'm not quite ready to have that type of surgery, however, since there is NO guarantee that it will cure pulsatile tinnitus -- only that it can help with hearing loss.

If there are any success stories out there, please respond. It gives the rest of us some hope!!

In the meantime, I've tried everything from acupuncture to various herbs to chiropractic, all to no avail.

20. michelle lynch

michelle lynch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, just joined here after searching for forums for support. I have pulsatile tinnitis which started in 2010. Before this i had a condition called labyrinthitis where i felt dizzy all the time, i was refered to ENT at the hospital and while there they did a hearing test which was fine and an MRI scan on my ears which were also fine, they concluded that i had had a bad infection and because i suffer from panic attacks it delayed my healing progress and this is what caused it, soon after however i got the pulsatile tinnitis, in bed at night i had a wooshing sound in my ears and was unable to sleep, it wasnt so bad in the day but i soon realised it was still there but the day to day noises masked it out, I have suffered ever since and just resigned myself to the fact that it was part of me. I mentioned it to a nurse once and she said i dont have to live with it. It has got so bad now that i have to sleep with the TV on just to be able to get to sleep! I have just been refered to ENT again by my doctor but not before him saying that i have had alot of tests done and everything was ok so do not know what they can do, which made me feel silly for going to him. Some days i can cope with it, some days it constantly sounds like a aeroplane is going by or a motorbike and causes me to have panic attacks. I must also mention that they tried me on a 2 week course of anti depressants, but all that succeeded in doing was making my anxiety worse. Any support or advice from fellow pulsatile tinnitis sufferers would be greatly appreciated, Thanks for taking the time to read this.

21. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Welcome, Michelle! You and I have something in common: My pulsatile tinnitus also started in 2010. Mine started as a result of taking blood pressure medicine for the first time. The blood pressure medicine caused many side effects; I was put first on one BP drug, then another. All caused bad side effects, and I finally got myself off all of it about 5 months later. The pulsating, and really bad tinnitus, started after the first blood pressure drug, and I've had it ever since -- along with adrenal fatigue. My pulsating is in one ear only --- the right ear --- because I had some hearing loss in that ear before, along with MILD tinnitus. After the BP drugs, however, my tinnitus (ringing) was roaring, plus I've had the pulsating to deal with every night.

I've been to two ENT's, and three neurotologists, had an MRI/MRA, CT scan, and carotid artery test, and they can't find anything wrong. So, I've been living with it for 2 years. I know exactly how you feel --- it really takes its toll on your body, especially since it is next to impossible to sleep when the pulsating gets really bad.

Here's what I've been doing to cope with all this: (1) I'm taking various supplements; B vitamins seem to help, along with magnesium, vitamin C and other vitamins. Some of my supplements are also to control my blood pressure (such as fish oil and COQ10), and support my adrenals (rehmannia, etc.). These seem to help. (2) I listen to sound therapy, mostly in the evenings, when my ringing/pulsating is the worst. I use the Universal Sound Therapy CD for tinnitus, but there are other programs out there, as well. (3) I exercise every day, and watch my diet. (4) To sleep at night, I have a chinese herbal formula that works for me - Restul Sleep Formula from Golden Flower; I also take magnesium at night, before bed. It seems to be calming; doesn't work every night, but it helps. I also play my sound therapy at night to help me fall asleep. (5) I have been trying various therapies, such as acupuncture and chiropractic, to help me minize the condition.

Although life has changed for me, I'm managing to live with this condition, and my tinnitus (ringing) has gotten quieter. I believe my pulsating has gotten quieter, too.

By the way, is yours in both ears, or only in one? Do you also have any ringing, buzzing, or other sounds?

I hope all this information is helpful to you. Please post as you have time; it really helps to hear from others who understand this condition! Also -- if you haven't already discovered it, also check out whooshers.com. It has lots of helpful information for us "whooshers"! Take care, and hope to hear from you again soon.

22. Ivy

Ivy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2012
      I developed pulsatile tinnitus in both ears following a lengthy cold (a lot of sinus congestion). I was treated with a 10 day steroid pack, with no results. Subsequently, I went to an ENT for an evaluation, which included carotid ultrasound, MRI and MRA. All were negative. While the tinnitus is constant, i find that the mornings and evenings are especially trying. My physician prescribed Xanax, with the understanding that it was a one-time prescription only. The Xanax takes the edge off, but is not a solution. I know that while this is not a life threatening disease, it greatly affects my life and family. They are most understanding, but how many times can someone listen to me say, "I can't take it anymore". I'm tired of hearing it too! Lol. It is helpful to have found this site to commiserate with other people going through the same!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Gosh Ivy! so sorry..... I have it too! Mine is subsiding though. My T was louder in Am and Pm like you.

Hang in there with us... check out the site... there may be some things here to help and give you hope!

24. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Welcome, Ivy! Do you have nervousness as a result of the pulsating? The worst thing for me is, even if I am able to sleep at night, I wake up to the pulsating, and it feels like it is pulsating through my entire body. It is hard to lie in bed because of the pounding/pulsating throughout my body. Anyone else experiencing this?

25. Ivy

Ivy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2012
      No nervousness.maybe a little bitchiness at the end of the day! Mine is confined to my ears.

26. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm glad you don't have the nervousness. It certainly must be difficult hearing the pulsating in BOTH ears! Mine is in only one ear; that's bad enough! Hope the Xanax helps. Also, I've heard that, for some people, the pulsating goes away all by itself. Maybe yours will subside in time.

Please keep us posted. It's good to hear from other "whooshers"! (P.S. -- Have you checked out whooshers.com?).
      Best wishes, Karen

27. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Karen, did you have the caroid artery ultrasound yet?

28. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I did. They did not find anything of note.

I think that I may have a central nervous system issue, caused by the trauma of pulsating tinnitus, getting off blood pressure medicine, etc. That's my theory, anyway. My blood pressure has gotten better -- most of the time optimal! And my ringing tinnitus has greatly improved. I'm hoping the pulsating is the next thing to improve!

29. Lvc595

Lvc595 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have had this awful sound for the last 8 months. I have had MRI,MRA,CTA,Doppler , blood tests. They did find dehiscience but not sure what I can do abo.ut it. Anyone know?

• Like Like x 1
    30. Lvc595

Lvc595 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      By the way, I went to bed one night and started to hear the sounds. No illness, headaches, dizziness- nothing. I am having a difficult time. I feel like I was cursed and all I can think about it pre PT. Sounds at night and sometimes during the day but I am having trouble coping.