Pulsatile Tinnitus — Now on Tinnitus Talk

Discussion in 'Support' started by Markku, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Stab,

There are many causes for pulsatile tinnitus, so it's hard to make any determination about it from your symptoms. However, I'd say it's a good sign that your PT has not gotten any worse since 2009, and I think you're very lucky that it doesn't bother you when you are lying down. That means that you can, at least, get some sleep!

Do you know if you have any hearing loss? The very high-pitched sound could be the result of a high-range hearing loss. Have you had your hearing checked?

Also, do you know of any specific health problem or trauma that might have happened to cause the pulsating in the first place? Do you have any neck, jaw, or back problems?

If it doesn't bother you, and it doesn't get any worse, you might be able to go on just as you are. But, if it becomes bothersome, you might want to have it checked out. Most of the people I've heard of who have been cured of PT have had a specific problem that a doctor found on a CT scan, MRI, or angiogram. The majority of cured Whooshers suggest going to a neurologist instead of to an ENT doctor.

I hope this information has been helpful to you!

Best wishes,
      Karen

2. stab

stab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Thanks for your reply Karen.

I have no idea how or when it started. Sometimes I even think I might have had it already when I was a child. There is no moment in time that I suddenly started to realized it. :)
      But 3 years for sure.

What worries me is that it comes up when I stand up after lying down, and when I sit and hold my neck not completely straight. I even realized that when I push on the artery on the right backside of my neck, the volume decreases.

So it has absolutely to do with bloodflow. Then why does it dissappear when lying down? Is there more blood going to your head when you lie down? Or less?

In other words, is my whooshing sound a result of (too) much blood going through a vein in my head, or (too) few?
      And isn't that dangerous?

I'm pretty sure myself its not an aneurysm or a tumor because of this, but I'm still scared to get a stroke one day :)

3. stab

stab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
    4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Stab,

I agree; the venous hum sounds just like the symptoms you described to me. So, you can stop or diminish the sound when you put your finger on the jugular vein? That's good; mine does not change when I do that.

It sounds like that might be what you have. However, just to ease your mind, maybe you could go to a doctor for verification. Are you in the UK? I understand it takes awhile to get an appointment there. (I'm in the U.S.).

I would think that when you lie down, there would be more blood going to the head. Mine is louder when I lie down.

That's why it might be worth checking out, just be sure it is not any physical problem. Take care, and keep me posted on what you decide to do.

5. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Just as of today my T suddenly changes when I tilt my head to the right. First a new sound entered the picture when I did that, then it didn't go away. So when I do that movement again I'm left with only one sound. I have tried to figure out why these sounds appear when changing head and neck position but no one seems to really know.

I also feel dizzy, but I've felt that way before I got T&H, only now it's more apparent when I walk.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The change in sound might have something to do with the Eustachian tubes. It could still change again, or go back to the way it was before. Also, the dizziness may subside later. I know mine did; I had a lot of dizziness and imbalanced feelings in my head when this first started, but it is virtually gone now. I know it's hard to believe, but your tinnitus will most likely improve (or you'll habituate to it) in time.

7. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      For me to habituate the volume must decrease, I can't see how anyone can overhear the T I have now. I hope to get started doing TRT some time this winter, but the volume hasn't really changed since it all started. In some rare occasions the level is lower for a couple of minutes, then it flares back to the normal level and then some. Masking is not working for me now because it's too loud, I don't dare to play masking sounds that high in fear of making everything worse.

I read here that many habituate by time, I only hope its in my lifetime :arghh:

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Per,
      How is your dizziness today? Any better, or about the same? The TRT is a good idea, and I think it will help you a lot.

I've experienced habituation before, although not recently. When you habituate, the tinnitus volume doesn't decrease, but you are able to put the sound out of your consciousness. It's hard to believe that that is possible, but it really does happen that way.

I understand about the masking; it didn't work for me, either, when my tinnitus was at its worst. You might want to forget about that for now. The best things you can do right now are to remain calm, get enough sleep, eat healthy foods, and find ways to distract yourself. Living from day to day will become easier as time goes on.

Please stay in touch with us here; we can help you and maybe suggest ways to cope that will help.

Very best wishes,
      Karen

9. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Karen

My dizziness actually came a month or so into the T&H. I think I have experienced something similar to this before I got T also, so it confuses me. It's like being a little drunk and I feel pulled to the left or right when I walk. I think I experienced the similar sensation before when I was dieting hard.

One thing I don't quite understand is when people say the exact same as you "when my tinnitus was at its worst", I get the understanding that T decreases by time, but if that's not the case you mean that the brain makes new neurons making the perceived level sound lower? Also many say "it gets better by time" and I also understood that as being something that actually gets lesser/lower/ just by the force of time. But I guess they mean it gets easier to live with by time then. Like stabbing your leg with a stick, after 100.000 stabs the point of impact gets numb thus giving you the perception of less pain. :confused:

If I look philosophical at this it really shouldn't matter how T gets better by time but I'm trying to understand my own condition trough the experience of others. The fact that alot of people confirm that they do get better by time is great and of course an element of motivation for me, I don't quite know when the future is however because it's just some wishful place that doesn't exist now.

10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Per,

It's possible that your slight dizziness has something to do with the tinnitus. I know that I had a slightly off-balance feeling for a long time (over 2 years) after my tinnitus became worse. It is virtually gone now; I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the habituation process or not. I just know it's better now!

To answer your question about tinnitus decreasing over time, I believe it is all about the perception of it. Mine may be a little worse than most, because I have both hissing and pulsating. But, at the beginning, I had roaring tinnitus, and I don't have that any more (thank goodness!). It's more about how much the tinnitus occupies your consciousness.

I think you'll find that, in a few months, you'll notice that it is a bit better. I hope so anyway. There is no one-size-fits-all for tinnitus. But I wish you better days in the not-too-distant future!!

Best wishes,
      Karen

11. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Karen

I appreciate the motivating post Karen. So many people share your experience of getting better by time so I'm expecting my progressions too. This nightmare started the 17th of June for me, so I guess I'm a first year student of T, I have the H to fight as well but I'm feeling positive that I can get well from that actually. Every medical report I've read on H tells me there should be a good chance of getting that beast under control with sound therapy and time. I'm glad to hear that your T character actually changed for the better! That's a huge step in the right direction.

There's some interesting articles on animal research at the BTA, the good thing about that is that the leading researcher has T himself. The "Chasing phantom noise" series are interesting read.

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/chasing-phantom-noise-part-1

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Per,

I hope I've been able to help a little bit. Having hyperacusis along with the T must, I'm sure, make it even worse. I didn't have that, but from what I've heard, most people get it under control after awhile, and I'm hoping you'll be one of those people! Yes, this thing is a nightmare at first, but if you can keep a positive outlook (easier said than done!), I know there are better days ahead for you. :)

13. stab

stab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      I believe I might have had my tinnitus for a very long time, maybe even during childhood. I have normal tinnitus, but also pulsatile tinnitus in both ears. Luckily, the latter is not very loud but audible nonetheless.

It is a constant tone that becomes louder and higher pitched on the heart beat and then quickly fades and becomes lower in pitch. This repeats itself on every heart beat, almost like a mosquito which flyes close to your ear and then further away :)

I have realized that it becomes inaudible when I lie down flat, when I twist my neck to the side or when I put pressure on the vein on the back of my neck.

After searching countless of hours on the internet, I have diagnosed myself :)
      The outcome is a Venous Hum. This is a 'heart murmur' commonly found in childeren that the doctor can hear while listening to your cardiovascular system. As a matter of fact, I had a heart murmur when I was just a baby but it was said to be harmless.

The condition is less common in adults but does occur and cause pulsatile tinnitus in some cases.

My question is, is there anyone here who has this? Does this sound familiar to you? I'm hoping to find people with the same problem and share what we know about it. What did the doctor said to you? Is it dangerous or does it need treatment? Did it go away or became worse?

I'm actually not looking for treatments (want no surgery if possible!), but just some soothing of the mind. If it's not dangerous, I can live with it. Just want to hear your experiences :)

Hope to hear from you!

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Stab,

I think I've responded to you before, but can't find the thread right now. I have pulsatile tinnitus, too, and have had several tests, where nothing was found. Mine is a constant, steady pulsating in sync with my heartbeat. It is always the same, no matter what I do. However, it is more noticeable when I lie down.

Most people with PT say that, when they press on the jugular vein, they can stop the sound. For me, however, that isn't the case. Also, I notice that you say yours is inaudible when you are lying flat. Not so for me.

I think mine might be due to a venous hum, too, because of what I've read when doing research on this condition. I have an underactive thyroid, and I understand that venous hum can be caused by that. Have you read that, as well? Also, has yours remained the same since it started, or has it gotten worse, or better? Mine has stayed about the same. I also have ringing in the same ear as the PT. It is a high-pitched, hissing sound.

I'll be interested to hear from other people who might have PT due to a venous hum. Please share your experiences with us!

15. MLS

MLS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      James, It is interesting you ask that. I too have wondered that. I saw an internist last week for sudden onset of hypertension (must be hereditary as I am healthy, low BMI, low cholesterol, daily exerciser, non smoker) and mentioned again a pulsating tinnitus that my GP is treating with anti allergy med for now. She was quite concerned it may be an AV malformation (ugh) . I plan to see a ENT next week but I do find it odd that both the high blood pressure and the PT showed up at similar times. I also take thyroid med but those levels were "fine" a couple of months ago. Will let you know if once my BP is controlled it effects my PT.

16. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, James and MLS,
      I also have pulsatile tinnitus, and it started after I was diagnosed with hypertension three years ago. I've also been on Synthroid for many years.

My doctor prescribed a blood pressure drug for me in 2010, and insisted that I take it. It was after I began taking the blood pressure drug that my ringing tinnitus (which was mild before) got very bad, and shortly after that, the pulsating tinnitus began.

I believe there is some connection between my rise in blood pressure and my thyroid condition. I've always tried to eat right, exercise, non-smoker, non-drinker, etc., so there was no real reason for my blood pressure to increase so much.

By the way, I am no longer on blood pressure medication and my blood pressure is back to normal. The last time I took my blood pressure (earlier today), it was 111/73. I'm controlling it naturally by watching my diet, exercising daily, drinking no caffeine, and taking natural supplements such as magnesium and fish oil. My tinnitus has improved greatly since 2010, and the pulsating tinnitus has gotten softer, but both are still there.l

MLS, I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says about your condition.

17. Siomes

Siomes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi. At around May this yeah I had a very bad ear infection and after that cleared up The pulsatile tinnitus remaind for another month. After it cleared I only had the whoosing sound whenever I put pressure on my neck. Now it's come back full force on my left ear but it's a vibrating sound which is so bad that my legs shake when I'm lying in bed. I'm going crazy. Has anyone been through this. ?.

18. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      That's strange, what sort of vibrating sound do you mean? Like your ear drum fluttering, or is it more of a hum?

I had pulsatile tinnitus when I first experienced my high schrill/multitonal tinnitus, the pulsatile tinnitus resolved by itself but I do notice it comes back when I experience a cold, and then it fades away - I think in my case it must have something to do with pressure on a nerve or my eustachian tubes.

You could further investigate by going to an ENT and getting an MRI done. Other than that try to get some exercise to improve circulation, always helps with my tinnitus!

Hope you start to feel better soon!

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Siomes

Siomes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It's kind of like a white noise but kinda faint and goes up and down with movement. When I lie down my head and legs make vibrating sensations.

20. yonkapin

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      That's strange re: the vibrating head and legs. I'd have no idea to be honest but I reckon it's worth heading to the GP and possibly getting evaluated by an ENT or neurologist (depending on how long this has been going on for you), are you on any medication at the moment?

21. yonkapin

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      BTW, since your in Melbourne. If you need to see an ENT, I can recommend a Dr. Vincent Cousins who operates out of St. Kilda Rd and has close ties with the Alfred hospital. If you seek the help of an audiologist definitely go here: http://www.dineenwestcottmoore.com.au/ - these guys are tremendous (but pricey).

22. Siomes

Siomes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks a lot. I had a hearing test at the eye and ear hospital about 2 months ago and they said I had partial hearing loss in my left ear but the tinnitus wasn't that bad. I will look this doctor up thanks again :)

23. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      If you have great anxiety because of tinnitus, it may produce strange sensations in your body too. Just my 0.02..

24. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Siomes,

I've been living with pulsatile tinnitus and ringing/hissing tinnitus for over three years now. When it first began, I had something similar to what you are describing with the vibrating legs, etc. It was so bad sometimes when I was trying to sleep that I could hardly stand to lie in bed for very long.

It has taken me some time to get things to calm down, but I am feeling better now. While I still have the pulsating tinnitus, it is not as bothersome as it was. One thing that I think has helped me is magnesium. I began taking magnesium chloride tablets almost two years ago, and they helped me to calm down. I no longer experience the vibrating body sensation, and I am able to sleep again. I take two magnesium chloride tablets (500 mg. size) each night, about 1 hour before bedtime.

Pulsating tinnitus can have many causes, and most times they are vascular. However, I have heard that, for some people, it goes away on its own. I'm glad you're going to see a doctor, and maybe he can shed some light on what is causing your problems. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say.

In the meantime, try to stay calm, get some sleep (if sleep is possible right now!), and find ways to distract yourself. If you need to vent, you've come to the right place here at Tinnitus Talk! I know what you're going through right now, and my heart goes out to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Siomes

Siomes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you for your kind words :)

26. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Siomes,

Please keep me posted on how you're doing. I hope the vibrating legs thing goes away soon! I agree; it's horrible, and it's so hard to sleep with all that going on. Take care!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Siomes

Siomes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I got a doctors appointment this afternoon and I hope I can finally get some answers. I will let you all know later on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Siomes

Siomes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Had my doctors appointment. He checked my blood pressure and said everything is ok. He said to monitor it to see if pain starts and then to come see him again. I'm disappointed. I want to noise to stop.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    29. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Siomes,

I'm sorry to hear that your doctor wasn't much help. I've been going through this for over 3 years now, and I can tell you that many doctors don't know much about pulsatile tinnitus. There is a whole website about PT (Whooshers.com) that you might want to check out. There is a section there about "Cured Whooshers" that will give you hope. On Whooshers.com, they suggest going to another doctor if the one you've been to is no help. PT is often vascular in nature, so it's best to get checked out.

I'd monitor the situation for awhile, see if anything improves; then, if it doesn't, maybe try going to another doctor. They suggest (Whooshers.com) that a neurologist might be a good doctor to see, because they understand more about PT.

In my case, I've had several tests for my PT, including a CT scan, MRI and MRA (arteries), and a Doppler of the carotid arteries. Nothing showed up; however, just recently, my PT has mysteriously gotten much calmer. I have no idea why! It's a mystery, this PT!

Take care, and monitor your situation.

Best wishes,
      Karen

30. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Don`t be afraid to see different doctors ... look on the web to see if you can find a good Doctor that knows about Tinnitus too.