Pulsatile Tinnitus and Exercise

Discussion in 'Support' started by MrMusicMaker, Jul 31, 2016.

1. MrMusicMaker

MrMusicMaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus. Every time I workout outside, (running, pushups, abs/sit-ups) both my ringing and pulsatile tinnitus spike for a few seconds, but recently its mostly been the pulsing that has been a bother. My heart beat is heard so much louder, and I can feel the blood punping in my ears. The same thing happens when I've been lying in bed for a long time, and immediately get up and start walking. Is it normal that this happens? I'm wondering if this is also bad for my tinnitus condition, should I not be working out?

I'm also wondering if its normal for my ears to pop sometimes whenever I swallow...(its been getting better but still happens) I've heard that a hair cell dies every pop, so I am concerned. I also hear clicks in my head whenever I run...

Working out was one of the things helping me take my mind off the ringing, and making me feel healthier, but if it is worsening my condition. I am not sure as to what to do.

• Like Like x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Popping when swallowing is normal as by doing so you are equalizing pressure on both sides of the ear drum. I don't see why it would kill a hair cell (only one? :rolleyes: ) when you do that.

I hear you about not being able to do the thing that takes your mind off of T (I'm a musician).

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @MrMusicMaker,

I don't think it is worsening your condition to exercise. I've had tinnitus for many years, and pulsatile tinnitus for six years now, and exercise has not made it any worse. If anything, I think my PT has settled down a bit since it began.

I exercise every day (mostly walking), and I don't think I could keep my sanity without it. Like you, I have been told I have some hearing loss, as well as otosclerosis. Don't worry, and enjoy doing the exercise you like to do, particularly if it takes your mind off the T.

Also, my ears popped a lot when my PT first started, but now, it hardly ever happens any more! Also, the pressure/fullness I felt at the beginning has gone now. I still have both T and PT, but it is more liveable now.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrMusicMaker

MrMusicMaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, it is great to hear that your condition has been getting better to live with in time. I do not have hearing loss yet, but I will most likely be at risk for it unless I keep protecting my ears like I have been ^_^ Yes, same for me the PT and T has been getting better in time, but I'm starting to feel this fullness and low hum in my left ear again, have you had this also? It's what bothers me the most now because I can feel pressure being pushed in from that ear >.>

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrMusicMaker

MrMusicMaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah yes, being a musician and having these conditions make it really hard. I do suggest keeping up with your passion though, as I still am but I take very frequent breaks now ^_^ It pops only when I swallow a certain way I believe, it used to be really bad but thankfully only pops sometimes now, is it normal for ears to click when running though? :c

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @MrMusicMan,

Yes, I've experienced both the fullness in the ears (in my case, it's only my right ear), and the clicking, too. For me, the fullness is gone now, but sometimes I still hear the clicking when outside walking. I still don't know what causes it, and I've tried applying pressure around my ear to try to make it stop, but that doesn't work. We may never know why it does that!

7. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      Try moving your bottom jaw out when it start.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, @whale,

It's worth a try! I didn't think it was jaw-related, but will see how this works.

9. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You can also try an upper cervical chiropractor.

10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @whale

I've already had that upper cervical procedure done -- twice! But it didn't make any difference in my pulsating or my tinnitus, I'm afraid. But for others, it might work.

Thanks,
      Karen

11. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven't gone. I just started TMJ treatment with a neuromuscular dentist. My splint comes in about 2 weeks, and only on PT under my belt. nothing yet, I guess my jaw is a bit looser but I'm most worried about the T, vertigo and brain zaps. My Doc says they are all most likely TMJ related and could be fixed in under a year or 2. Say on top of my TMJ may jaw is in a very bad position, so just a bit of fluid from TMJ pushes up the inner ear. seems like a long time to wait. 2 years is a long time to wait for a could be, but its the best reply I've got from an MD

• Like Like x 1
    12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, it's good that you have a possible cause identified, so in that way, you're very lucky. But I know it's very hard to live with in the meantime. I had vertigo for a couple years (off and on), too, and it finally went away. I still have both the T and PT, but at least it's more liveable now. Vertigo can be very tough to deal with, so I hope yours isn't constant.

Take care,
      Karen

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrMusicMaker

MrMusicMaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You guys are scaring me is this an unrelated problem? ;o Sorry to hear about what you're going through/have gone through. Is it really a bad thing though that my ears pops occasionally when I swallow or get clicks in my head? Like I get them everyday, but not everytime I do it. I'm hoping it's not doing any harm to my ears

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, getting those clicks and pops are not bad things at all. They just seem to come along with this condition. Don't worry; it's a normal part of having tinnitus.

I had fullness and popping in my ears for several years when my T and PT first started, but I don't have it any more. Not sure why, but it finally went away.

The clicking happens occasionally, but not as often as when my condition first started.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrMusicMaker

MrMusicMaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How long did it take for your fullness/low frequency hum to go away? For me it's been lasting longer hours throughout the day, now only a 2 hour period in which it is not happening...think it increases when im lying down too which sucks cus i cant sleep sometimes...

Its low level hum but also has the normal ringing that fades in and out as well...(also louder than usual sometimes)

Hopefully it will go away and just go back to normal tinnitus....

16. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @MrMusicMaker ,

Well, I've had the pulsatile tinnitus for over six years now, so it's hard to remember exactly when my feeling of fullness went away, but I think it went away gradually, over a period of about 2 years. To clarify: I had clicking sounds and dizziness, too, which also went away. But I never had a low-level hum; my high-pitched tinnitus is still there, and so is the pulsating. I've just learned how to live with these conditions, as best I can.

I hope yours will eventually settle down to a normal tinnitus. Don't give up; just give it time, and see what happens.

Best wishes,
      Karen