Pulsatile Tinnitus Beginning Postpartum

Discussion in 'Support' started by KaraB, Mar 8, 2014.

1. KaraB

KaraB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hello! I have joined Tinnitus Talk in hopes of finding some relief to not only for my pulsatile tinnitus, but also my anxiety levels, in knowing that I am not alone. I am 29 years old.

I first heard my heartbeat in my ear 2 days after giving birth in Nov of 2013.

I had a traumatic delivery, gave birth at 32weeks to due fluid retention and severe pre-eclampsia, blood pressure was 190/123.

I was on a magnesium sulfate drip to prevent seizures and TONS of blood pressure medications. Baby made a safe entry into the world and I recovered, though I remain on a low dose of Lebatalol for my BP.

2 days after delivery I noticed this whooshing noise in my left ear. I informed the doctors of it, and have mentioned it a few times to my GP. The only investation he did was wave some vibration thing beside my head,, and when I told him I couldnt hear it as well on the side with the PT, he told me I likely have fluid in my middle ear and I've basically been told I have pulsatile tinnitus, with no investigations as to why. No one seems concerned but me. I am now going on 4 months postpardum, and am still hearing my heatbeat at times. I am still breastfeeding... could there be a relation? It is worse at night. To be honest, it didn't bother me for a while, but has increased in the last few days... the more I think about it, the worse it seems. I can even hear it during the day if I concentrate enough. I have also had a bit of an earache the last 3 days.... using polysporin drops.

Do any of you know if this PT, could be related at all to what I Went through delivering my baby?? I have had borderline high BP for years, and have been treated with atenolol, and now lebatalol since becoming pregnant and while breast feeding. Should I stop breast feeding?

Any advice would be appreciated..... Not only do I have a premature baby keeping me awake at night, but also this stupid noise in my head. Ugh....

Its making me crazy....

Thanks...

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @KaraB ,

I'm so sorry you're having these problems, but glad you delivered your baby safe and sound. It must be very difficult to care for your baby while also dealing with the PT and probably lack of sleep that goes along with it.

I have pulsatile tinnitus, too --- in my right ear only. It started suddenly, within about 2 weeks of taking a blood pressure drug for the first time, and up and down blood pressure along with it. I think it is very likely that your PT started due to the many changes that took place in your body during the pregnancy and delivery, plus the high blood pressure and the meds you are taking. Pulsatile tinnitus is also called "vascular tinnitus", and it usually has something to do with the vascular system.

Also, you may still be retaining some fluid and may have fluid in your ear. It is possible that, with time, the fluid will drain and your PT will subside. Have you been to an ENT doctor about possible fluid in the ear? Perhaps he could check you, and give you some medicine that might help drain this fluid.

If this doesn't work, it is possible that after your body recovers from the changes of childbirth, your PT may subside gradually on its own. I have heard of other women who have had tinnitus or PT that started either during pregnancy or after, and that did go away. My daughter had tinnitus (not PT) during pregnancy, and it went away eventually.

Another thing to consider is a condition called benign intracranial hypertension. This is a condition where there is excess fluid in the body, and there are symptoms such as headaches, pulsatile tinnitus, etc. You could Google this to see if the symptoms match yours.

No, I don't think you should stop breastfeeding your baby. That might even help your body return to normal quicker, and perhaps you will lose weight and fluid more easily that way.

I wish you well, and hope you'll keep us updated on how you're doing.

Best wishes and hugs,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Kara,

Here is a link to information about benign intracranial hypertension:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_intracranial_hypertension

Also, another suggestion: Have you heard of Whooshers.com? On their website, you'll find lots of information about PT, and its many causes. There is also a closed Facebook group for Whooshers.com that you can join. There, you'll find other people who have PT, and other women who have experienced post-partum PT. They may have additional comments or suggestions.

Karen

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KaraB

KaraB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      THANKS SO MUCH! I have seen that Webpage, but couldn't figure out how to join or start a conversation? Do you know how?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KaraB

KaraB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I'll definitely join the Facebook group

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @KaraB,

Yes, it took me awhile to figure out that they had a Whooshers Facebook group, and that's where you can actually meet other people who also have pulsatile tinnitus. There are a lot of us! Pulsatile tinnitus is a mysterious condition with a lot of possible causes. Some people have gone to doctor after doctor, and finally found one who would understand enough to help them.

There are some causes of PT that can be cured by surgery. I don't think that applies to either you or me, but it's worth noting. I think yours may be more likely to be due to excess fluid, or because of your high blood pressure. Also, some people report that after losing weight, their pulsatile tinnitus subsides. A few months from now, you may find that yours subsides, too.

Good luck, and I'll look forward to hearing how you're doing!

• Like Like x 1