Pulsatile Tinnitus due to Orthostatic Hypotension or Vertebrobasilar Insufficiency?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Aug 9, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      I often get the effect, after sitting down for as short as an hour, of getting up and suddenly feeling like I will pass out. So much blood appears to rush to my head that my hearing goes, my ears and head feel like they are going to explode, and I get the pulsatile tinnitus for a few seconds. I also have these attacks in my sleep.

Tonight was my worst attack and it left me with a bit of low frequency hearing loss, and I don't know if that will happen again.

As a first, I was not diagnosed with OH in my recent checkup and only have low normal blood pressure. The latter possibility has not been ruled out. I am also fairly sedentary and can only do light walking as a form of exercise, which may contribute to what is going on now.

Anyone else with pulsatile tinnitus suffer from either of these conditions? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Coyotesheaven,

I have pulsatile tinnitus, but haven't experienced either of these conditions along with it. In my case, the concern was more about high blood pressure when the PT started. Mine began after taking a blood pressure drug for the first time. My blood pressure is now under control without drugs, but I still have pulsatile tinnitus.

I found an interesting article about orthotic hypotension on the Mayo Clinic website. Here is a link:
      http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...hypotension/basics/complications/con-20031255

A question: Are you taking any drug (or drugs) that might be causing this? In the article, it does mention some drugs as a possible cause of OH.

I'd be interested to hear if there are other PT sufferers out there who experience postural hypotension, and would like to hear their stories.

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      Hello Karen,

Thank you for your reply and insight.

I am taking a number of medications that lower blood pressure at small doses. My GP did tell me that they had an influence on my current low-normal blood pressure. But she could not formally diagnose me with OH under the tests I took.

I had pulsatile tinnitus and a bunch of ear and head problems (mostly migraines) prior to starting these medications, however, and in hindsight these symptoms do instead resemble vertebro-basilar insufficiency.
      I actually believe the problem lies in my neck; there has been a misalignment in my cervical vertebrae for quite some time, especially after a fall 3 months ago which gave me symptoms of a neck strain and weakness throughout my body. In some cases an incorrect alignment in the neck can pinch the vertebro-basilar arteries or other nerves, and can hence directly affect the ears.

To this day, my ear problems are made worse by various head/neck manipulations and the OH symptoms coincidentally don't just arise when I'm standing up too quickly.

4. The Red Viper
      Angry

The Red Viper Member Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Leftover infection ETD + neck muscle injury
      I don't think I have postural hypertension, but I do know that if I've been laying down for a while and I get up, I will start to hear whooshing in my ear for a few seconds (typically around ten seconds) before the sound goes away. Also, if I'm standing up and I bend over to touch my toes I will hear it.

This didn't happen until after I got regular T.