Pulsatile Tinnitus Getting Loud After Waking Up During REM Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie Graham, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Marie Graham

Marie Graham Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My pulsatile tinnitus gets blaringly loud after I wake up during REM sleep. Anyone else?

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Marie Graham Hi Marie. An introduction of physical and biological history would be helpful to comment on your question such as neck or thyroid problems. Your situation of loud PT may be different from others after REM sleep.

Do you have tinnitus other than pulsatile?
      Have you had any radiological testing for arteries to judge atherosclerosis or thyroid?
      Have you had complete blood work done that shows something positive?
      Blood tests results for cholesterol and thyroid?
      Knowing your age would help?
      Have you loss or gained weight?
      Is your blood pressure normal?
      Can a doctor hear it with a stethoscope?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    3. William Clark

William Clark Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Yes, mine wakes me up at that point and is very loud. It happens 2 or 3 times each night.

4. Meadowlark

Meadowlark Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Mine is always very loud and pounds in my ear when I wake from a dream or nightmare. Scares me sometimes.

I also get it, at times, during the day along with my right ear feeling plugged. I have it right now. I just tried using my Flonase inhaler (for allergies) to see whether that will help get rid of the pounding and plugged feeling. Hope it works. Anyone else get this?

5. Lois O’D

Lois O’D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Investigating
      Thank you! I’ve been looking for a post which describes similarity to my own experience. Last month, I woke up to a revving sound which I thought was coming from somewhere else in the house. After this happened a few times, I realised it was in my left ear and the ‘revving ‘ occurs in time with my pulse. This only happens (so far) in the interval between being asleep and fully awake.
      Have been to the docs today; bloods done and blood pressure taken (was high). Heart beat fine. Doctor seemed a bit reluctant to do much else but erred on the side of caution and has referred me to vascular people.

6. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly benzos (lorazepam) and/or stress
      My tinnitus isn't pulsatile, but it is always very high pitched and loud when I wake up. Sometimes it turns into this weird electrical zapping sound, which never happens when I am fully awake. I have no idea why.

7. Nini

Nini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Childhood
      I too when waking up from a nightmare or vivid dream my pulsatile tinnitus pounds away so hard it makes me jump

8. Nini

Nini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Childhood
      Going for a CT scan for PT a bit scared anything to worry about., especially having multiple scans?