Pulsatile Tinnitus Returns After 7 Years

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jane87, May 22, 2016.

1. Jane87

Jane87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello

I'm a 28 y/o female experiencing PT and fullness mostly in my right ear, although I have occasionally felt it in the left. I've had it about 6 wks now although I did experience similar symptoms about 7 yrs ago.

I also have swollen glands under my jaw at the moment (submandibular the nurse said), though whether this is connected I don't know.

If I press on the right side of my neck the whooshing subsides until I release my hand and then it returns. I remember experiencing this back in 2009(ish) when I last had PT. It may be worth noting that I lost the majority of my vision in my left eye from sudden onset optic neuritis in 2008, the cause of which is undiagnosed as I had extensive testing alongside steroid treatment at the time and my MRI was fine. I've since had a check up MRI in 2014 which showed again no signs of MS (the biggest cause of optic neuritis). Still blind in left eye. It may be relevant that when I saw the first Opthamologist in 2008 he thought I had papilledema (a sign of idiopathic intracranial hypertension, which my mum had in her twenties) but by the time I was rushed to hospital the Neuroligist said it was optic neuritis.

Anyway, back to 2016 and the nurse was not v.interested in my PT and didn't ask my history etc but did referr me for blood tests for my thyroid levels as hypothyroidism runs in my mum's side. She also checked my BP which she said was healthy. My blood tests are Tues and I'm following up with a Dr the week after.

Thanks for reading my ridiculous message, I hope someone can shed some light xx

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Jane,

I've just read your post, and hope that your doctor's visit and blood tests will result in some answers for you. I have PT, too, but it's in my right ear only. Mine started after taking a blood pressure drug for the first time. I'm off all blood pressure meds now, but the pulsating remains. I do think there is some correlation between hypothyroidism and the tendency toward tinnitus and possibly pulsatile tinnitus, as well.

I'll be interested to hear if your doctor says you have hypothyroidism, too. So do I, and that may have something to do with it. I also experienced ear fullness when mine first started, but that symptom has gone away now.

Please do post again after you get your test results back. Good luck!

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jane87

Jane87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your reply Karen. I had my blood taken today and seeing a Dr with the results next week. I'll be sure to update.