Pulsatile Tinnitus... Two Weeks In and Frayed at the Edges!

Discussion in 'Support' started by VictoriaD, Nov 7, 2016.

1. VictoriaD

VictoriaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey everyone!

I've just joined this forum as I've only recently been affected by Pulsatile Tinnitus but oh my goodness, I cannot get a good night's sleep anymore!

Prior to this, I've always had good health but I've recently been visiting the doctor trying to get some help with short bouts of nausea/lightheadedness/detachment. These experiences are very short and infrequent. I mostly recover from them very quickly but sometimes they are very extreme. More recently I've had a little bit of earache (left ear only) and headaches that feel quite close to my left ear.

Also, I've become a lot more stressed at work recently. I'm not sure if this has been a possible trigger for the PT. In general I've felt myself become a lot more anxious/jumpy. Maybe its from the lack of sleep? Would be great to hear if anyone else has felt that stress could be a trigger?

I've had a referral to ENT so I'm just waiting on that for the moment.

I only notice the PT when I'm lying down. It seems more predominant in my left ear. Sometimes its in my right ear and sometimes its both. Most nights I manage to drift off to sleep OK but most of the time I wake up half way through the night and I can't get back to sleep. Also, every so often when this happens I start getting so terribly anxious and upset about it as I'm tossing and turning trying to find the best position to hear it less. My husband's taken to sleeping in another room so I'm not anxious about waking him up as I toss and turn but as we've not been married a year yet, this isn't ideal for early marital life!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. No one I know seems to have heard of this, it bring some relief that I'm not the only one! When I brought it up at the doctors, all he had to say was "you know you do have veins around your ears", which was a little disheartening ;)

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Have a chat to your doctor about help for sleep like melatonin etc.
      Try playing relaxing sounds through pillow speakers like the wind or white noise as can help but can take a few days to adjust to it but helps your brain focus on another sound but make sure it's set below your tinnitus .
      Over time your brain will build up it's own filter and not see your sound as a threat and this will help the unwanted emotions that sadly come along with tinnitus with internal sounds.
      Try to off load stress at work and go at your own pace and take a much needed break when pressure builds up ,even a walk on your dinner break in the fresh air.
      Hope ENT can help and support you along with the forum and counselling can help.
      Lack of sleep can cause stress and anxiety and impact on your day so do what you can to relax like a long soak in the bath and warm drink and see your doctor who can help you...lots of love glynis

• Winner Winner x 1