Pulsatile Tinnitus When Lying Down — I'm a 15-Year-Old Girl

Discussion in 'Support' started by Abigail Laura, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Abigail Laura

Abigail Laura Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone. I am a 15 year old girl who lives in a fairly loud environment. Ever since last year, I have discovered that when lying down I can hear a pulsing in my ear, like my heartbeat. Tonight I decided I've had enough of it.

Now, I may be a Hypochrondriac here, but I am convinced that I do have pulsatile tinnitus. Why? I'm not sure. Perhaps an ear infection is what I'm hoping. When I was a little girl, I always got very bad ear infections that were easily treatable with simple antibiotics. I do listen to loud music in my earbuds at school, and I have shared earbuds with my friend at school.

I've learned that sharing earbuds is an easy way for bacteria to pass into the ear from someone else, and it is highly unsanitary unless the earbuds are yours. I have yet to go to the doctor's because I am afraid they'll think I'm crazy. And yes, I am aware that pulsatile tinnitus is not caused by loud noises and other things like regular, ringing tinnitus.

My tinnitus at the moment is accompanied by frequent ear pain in my left ear, along with sometimes my right. When I am sitting up, it is better. When I am laying down, however, it gets increasingly worse in a quiet room. Usually I have my fans on and my TV on so I can block out the noise my ears make. But tonight I did not have access to those 2 things, leading for a night of barely any sleep.

I was doing research and I came across this forum, hoping for any advice or help I can get. I'm very sorry this is so long, I'm just freaked out about this whole ordeal. Please ask any questions you'd like if you'd think it would benefit in anyway.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abigail Laura

Abigail Laura Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for replying! I've also figured this out by research over Google. When putting pressure onto my neck, like some patients, it has significantly gotten quieter. I will for sure bring this up with my doctor for hopefully a better sleep.

Although I am praying that I won't need surgery. The whole idea of someone going near my vital organs and nerves scares me, because my mom has had bad experiences with surgeries that has messed her up for life. I do trust my doctors very much though.

4. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      The surgery is minimally invasive and I've had it done 3 times now. It's not really that bad. Not having it done would have been far worse.