Pulsating Tinnitus from ETD

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nole, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Nole

Nole Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      I've been battling pulsating tinnitus since Jan 2015 after a sinus infection and ear infection. It's my right ear only. I've been Dx with Eustachian tube dysfunction and chronic fluid in ear. Have tried steroids, Allegra d, mucinex, garlic oil, ear candling and nasal irrigation. Some work better then others. The nasal irrigation gives me most relief. I had this same issue two years ago, it did clear up with time, about 6 months. So here I am waiting again pulsating away consistently feeling ear pressure and pain. Anyone else have some other recommendations?

2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      The only true things that work could be Campral, trobalt or keppra. There's not much else...If you wanna be herbal, then try cats claw, some people have found relief using it.

3. LovesToTeach
      Chatty

LovesToTeach Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/pregnancy/stress
      Can they not do a myringotomy or grommets for the fluid?

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Nole,

I have pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear, too, but not for the same reasons. When my pulsating first started, my doctor also recommended nasal irrigation and gave me a course of steroids to take. It didn't work for me (mine started due to a blood pressure drug), but the nasal irrigation was helpful for sinuses. Perhaps you could try going to another doctor for a second opinion?

I take a lot of supplements, because I have both tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus in the same ear. One supplement that has helped me cope is NAC (N-acetylcistene). It is an amino acid, and it seems to take the edge off my pulsatile/ringing a little bit.

I don't know what else can be done for fluid in the ear. It sometimes take several months for that to go away, from what I've heard. Please keep us posted on how you're doing!

5. Danielle85
      Worried

Danielle85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      @Nole I also thought mine may be due to ETD because it first started with an intense pressure/plugged feeling in my ears that went down but the pulsing has not stopped. I also noticed when I push on veins on my neck the pulsing stops. I am curious if you can stop yours by pushing like that? Perhaps mine is similar to yours.

Thanks!
      Danielle

6. Fransb

Fransb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @Nole: I have a high pitch pulsating Tinnitus around 12000 hz. It started January this year after a sinus infection and fluid in ear. The infection cleared up in Februari, and the fluid disappeared end of March. I still have pulsating Tinnitus in right ear and also a sound in the left ear. The pulsating Tinnitus in my right ear is the most difficult to handle, it is sometimes even noticed during tv sounds, or during a conversation. It fluctuates in volume over the day, sometimes it is not noticable. I also have intermittend pain in my right ear, definitely a kind of phantom pain, no infection. How is your situation now?