Questions about certain medications

Discussion in 'Support' started by Snake Plissken, May 16, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Snake Plissken
      Crappy

Snake Plissken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Hi all, I have questions about the ototoxicity of certain drugs. A simple google search has provided nothing conclusive for any of these, but I guess folks here are more likely to be in the know!

Firstly, I have been taking Migraleve pink as needed when having migraines. I know paracetamol is OK but what about codeine (specifically codeine phosphate) and buclizine hydrochloride?

Also, I have recently been prescribed Amoxicillin to reduce swelling after a dental operation. I know I really ought to take it, but I've heard horror stories about antibiotics. Safe or no go?

2. Snake Plissken
      Crappy

Snake Plissken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Yo folks I would appreciate an answer. The antibiotics question is urgent.

3. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I've only heard the opposite about lidocaine. That it can reduce and even completely take away T temporarily. I think it even was because of dental operations this was discovered.

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    5. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      I cannot tell you what you what you should do, but I can tell you what I would do (in your situation). I would not take wide spectrum antibiotics for a speculative/preventive infection. Antibiotics should be used for a concrete diagnosis. That said, the wide spectrum antibiotics that must be avoided are the ones where the produce name ends in -mycin.

Paracetamol = no problem.
      Codeine = no problem.

(Generally pain killers are not a problem unless taken for a long, long time at high doses...)

But instead of asking us the questions above, why not ask your physician...?

6. Snake Plissken
      Crappy

Snake Plissken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Tell you the truth? I feel kinda silly... I know a lot of docs still view T as no big deal, and of course they would say I should still take my meds.

7. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @lapidus. There's a very active member on this forum who got T after the use of lidocaine during a dental procedure... Just FYI

8. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Did not know that, thanks for info. I tell ya, these hearing issues just get more and more complex to me :p

9. Snake Plissken
      Crappy

Snake Plissken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      My T has been louder since the first dental op (w/ lidocaine) and I'm going to have another in a few days. Is there anything to be done? I can't very well have the operation without aneasthesia, and I can't ignore the problem forever...

10. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I don't know but you could start a new thread asking about lidocaine specifically and probably get some responses from people who have experienced it.