Quiet — I Love the Silence

Discussion in 'Support' started by ashley, May 11, 2014.

1. ashley
      Busy

ashley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/28/2014
      I love the silence. Just laying in bed with the silence after a long day is absolutely amazing (in my opinion.) I really do miss it so much, since my tinnitus is constant and I rarely if ever have relief from it. My question is this:

What do you all do when you miss the silence?
      How do you cope with that?

I think my new life motto is never take silence for granted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. jchinnis

jchinnis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1989
      It took a long time, but I came to enjoy silence again. I guess it's a bit like viewing a beautiful sunset through dirty glasses, but it still works.

• Like Like x 9
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yes miss silence a lot , specially during nature walks !

• Like Like x 1
    4. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you manage to habitutate, you will actually be able to enjoy silence again. From my own experience, this is possible. Now my situation is different of course with this new H that i got i november. But before, when T was all I had, I had no problem at all being in silence. I didnt notice my T because I was so habituated to it. The T was only there when I tried to activly listen to it. And it could go years between the moments I thought about, and listened to my T.

You will be fine, just let habituation take it's time :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Ashley ..that's the question I ask my self every day !
      My biggest hobby was silence mediation and t took it away from me .i do try to sit in silence with white noise in the background . white noise is some what less annoying so it's not all that bad .

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I hate to say this... but many days I don't hear my T until I come here. That's OK, I always learn something.
      You asked about coping. I shoved T way out of my mind and my ears, by NEVER measuring the T. I only measure my response to it. You'll see that over and over in my posts. It works for me. My T is loud. Once it drove me almost nuts, but after 40 years of it, it's no more than a hangnail or a little stone in my shoe.

• Like Like x 4
    7. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thank you for this post . I am so glad even though your T is loud ..it's not bothering you as much .