Rate Your Tinnitus With 6 Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by David S, Mar 29, 2015.

1. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      notice.png
      Inspired by @David S's thread, please complete the survey here:

http://j.mp/rateyourtinnitus

LineSeparator.png

Just curios how you would rate your T. I have 6 questions for you witch i hope give a god picture. I do not focus on the sound it self but the reaction. Did I miss any good question? Is any of them unnecessary? If you feel that you are between 2 questions us 2 of 4.

My score would come out to 5,3,3,3,3,3=20. Would rate this between moderate and severe. My life is still deeply affected by T but under control.

Awareness:
      1P/ I am just aware of my tinnitus a few times a day.
      3P / I am aware of my tinnitus a big part of the day, however hours could pass when I am not thinking of it.
      5P / I am constantly aware of my tinnitus, sometimes it happens that I do not think about it for 15-30 minutes.

Sleep:
      1P / My sleep is almost as good as before.
      3P / I struggle with sleep and wake up a few times every night.
      5P / Sleep is a mess and I never sleep more than 2-3 hours in a row. It is also very hard for me to fall asleep.

Life changes:
      1P / I do pretty much the same things as before tinnitus. Just avoid really loud places like concerts and clubs.
      3P / I live my life almost like before but there is quite some changes like I do not listen to music any more. I am not as social as I used to be. I quit sports. I avoid not only the really loud places but also pubs/restaurants. I avoid long trips in plane or by car.
      5P / My life completely changed. It is a struggle for me to maintain work/studies. I feel very isolated.

Depression:
      1P / I feel depressed but it's not too bad. I've felt down like this before.
      3P / I never experienced depression like this before. I clearly feel that I am not as active as I used to be.
      5P / I am really depressed, but not only that I also have anxiety attacks as well.

Life quality:
      1P / This is not too bad, I just think about my tinnitus a few times a day.
      3P / I lost quite a bit of my life quality. My silent moments were very important in the past to just chill, get back to balance and absorb energy. That's now all gone. Anyway I still have a lot of enjoyable moments with family, friends or at work.
      5P / I do not feel myself anymore. Tension and fear are with me all the time.

Strategy:
      1P / I have a clear strategy how to live with this. I feel that I get better month by month.
      3P / I tried a lot but nothing really seems to work. I still have things to try on my list and I am a little optimistic that it will be better for me.
      5P / I have really no idea how tho get out of this mess.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I think this is a very good way to measure. Unfortunately i`m much worse of than I wanted to believe ...

nice work

3. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Awareness:
      3P / I am aware of my tinnitus a big part of the day, however hours could pass when I am not thinking of it.

Sleep:

Life changes:
      1P / I do pretty much the same things as before tinnitus. Just avoid really loud places like concerts and clubs.

Depression:
      3P / I never experienced depression like this before. I clearly feel that I am not as active as I used to be.

Life quality:
      3P / I lost quite a bit of my life quality. My silent moments were very important in the past to just chill, get back to balance and absorb energy. That's now all gone. Anyway I still have a lot of enjoyable moments with family, friends or at work.

Strategy:
      1P / I have a clear strategy how to live with this. I feel that I get better month by month.

4. 3s all over the place(n). closer to 5 on Life Changes and closer to 1 on sleep

5. Carm

Carm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Awareness:
      5P / I am constantly aware of my tinnitus, sometimes it happens that I do not think about it for 15-30 minutes.

Sleep:
      5P / Sleep is a mess and I never sleep more than 2-3 hours in a row. It is also very hard for me to fall asleep.

Life changes:
      3P / I live my life almost like before but there is quite some changes like I do not listen to music any more. I am not as social as I used to be. I quit sports. I avoid not only the really loud places but also pubs/restaurants. I avoid long trips in plane or by car.
      5P / My life completely changed. It is a struggle for me to maintain work/studies. I feel very isolated.

Depression:
      5P / I am really depressed, but not only that I also have anxiety attacks as well.

Life quality:
      1P / This is not too bad, I just think about my tinnitus a few times a day.

Strategy:
      3P / I tried a lot but nothing really seems to work. I still have things to try on my list and I am a little optimistic that it will be better for me.
      5P / I have really no idea how tho get out of this mess.

6. James P

James P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Club)
      Awareness:

Sleep:

Life changes:

Not sure where I fall here, I've definitely been less social and my enjoyment of music is gone. I do the same things but much less frequently. I spend a lot of time now struggling to find peace rather than other activites I used to enjoy.

Depression:

Life quality:

Strategy:

7. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Well at first I wanted to say it's all bad but once I honestly thought about everything, I actually have less than 6P's
      My sleep is great, I fall asleep better now than before T.
      I feel at times sad but not depressed.
      So I'm guessing I'm at 4P's.
      I read about how stress can make the limbic system turn up volumes and such when you have anxiety and I finally got my answer for why some sounds seem louder, all of those sound are tinnitus sound and every time I have gotten them it was because I was in a scary situation to which my limbic system flagged the sound.

I'm doing better, hyperacusis is better-ish of course it varies a lot but generally I have more good h days than bad.

8. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      5, 1, 3, 3, 5, 3

9. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      5/3/5/3/5/5

10. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      3/1/1/0/1/1

0 - I'm not depressed or upset about it, so I chose a 0.

11. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      These are loaded questions. Every answer assumes we're worse off than before. That may have been true before habituating. But for example, I sleep every bit as good as I did before. Not just "almost".

12. LifesABeach
      Depressed

LifesABeach Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      Well, I can't say I'm surprised, but I totaled 26.

As a tinnitus target since 2006, the worst part for me is the recent change of events. If I had answered this poll back around Thanksgiving 2014 - before the sh*t hit the fan in a big way - I probably would have answered at a total of 8, maximum. Depressing.

But I guess that's why I'm here now. I beat it once (albeit when it was in a milder form) and I'm hoping folks here can help me beat it back again.

13. Danworth
      Anime

Danworth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock from ear bud
      Awareness:

Sleep:

Life changes:

Depression:

Life quality:

Strategy:

• Like Like x 1
    14. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma

15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since: