Re: Thoughts on Getting One Ear Cut (Operation)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pete01, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      In the last two months , I have been taking 2x 25MG of Allegron and have had a 50% improvement with my T. However, it is my intention to have my left ear cut as all of the high pitch sounds only affect my left ear.

My Left ear reacts really badly with Grasshoppers, Crickets and high pitch sounds. I have had Tinnitus for 10 Months and the volume flucuates between 99% silence to very loud. If i sleep anywhere near crickets or cicadas it effects my ear really badly.

It is my intention to have my left ear cut and hopefully regain my silence again. Has anyone else had any success with this operation?

2. Viktor Salvatore
      Smug

Viktor Salvatore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7-5-11
      I don't understand what your cutting? Please dont cut your ear. Can anyone help this person with advice as this does not sound to me like a plausible solution.

3. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I've never heard of such operation do you have any links for us to read about the surgery? If you mean cutting your hearing nerve I think that doesn't work since it only will make you deaf to outside noise but your T will still be there and there won't be a way to mask it.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The most positive reports on this are that you have maybe a 50/50 chance of getting rid of the t. Worst case, ALL you hear in that ear is the T.

Also, I'd be worried that losing all hearing on one side only might cause more tinnitus in the future. Asymmetrical hearing is thought to be one cause of tinnitus.

I know how hard this is, but I'd say don't do it. You're trading a temporary problem (your annoyance with your t) for a permanent one...which might not even work!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      You have already had 50% improvement, still get 99% silence occasionally, and it's only been 10 months!

Any doctor who would cut your nerve should immediately have their medical license revoked.

-mike

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      This could make your T way worse and you will have no hearing left to mask it. Crazy risk IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Over the years have asked 3 doctors about this and said they would never do it. I too would go deaf if it eliminated the tinnitus. You are less than 1 year into this and there is a good chance yours will only improve. What do you do to avoid the noises that make your tinnitus worse?

8. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Pete01: T is a brain thing. Others cut their auditory nerve in the past and became deaf. T stayed. Watch this video. At some stage it is mentioned:
      Tinnitus - The Loud Silence

9. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      As per most comments above, it is way too risky to do this. In many years time am sure there will be a treatment to eliminate tinnitus in deaf ears, but until it's 100% safe, it's clearly very risky and could make things even worse. Not to mention your affected ear isn't deaf and has improved.

10. Mo_Mo

Mo_Mo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Started A Week After A Cold
      Have you thought of trying retigabine seems to be helping the users who are taking them also other pharmaceuticals have been helping some users such as klonopin

11. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      What ticks me off about the above video is all it talks about is it being caused by loud noise. This is not necessarily true as we all know!
      Again more ignorance about the condition.
      I never went to loud gigs since I was in my teens nor did i listen to loud music or use headphones.......
      So why do they never discuss this aspect of it?
      So frustrating! why do they never discuss that great anxiety and great ongoing stress can be a cause of it too and what about ear syringing?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      No please dont do that. There are promising treatments waiting around the corner. But one you lose your ear, thats forver lost. Get some help please. This thought is not healthy

• Like Like x 1
    13. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I guess, loud noise is the primary root cause for T.
      And T is some kind of "compensatory" mechanism of the brain to hearing loss.
      Mine was also brought by high stress/anxiety.
      It is in the range where I have most hearing loss (above 14-15 kHz).

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Hi How do you know it was brought on by great stress? You can't know for sure can you? Maybe there was another aggravating source of problem?

15. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      No Don't Do it. 10 months with T is not nearly long enough to even come to this conclusion. There is absolutely no guarantee that your T will lessen. In fact, there is good reason to believe it will increase because you have less ability to hear.

• Like Like x 1