Reaching the End of the Road — Hyperacusis Caused by Cancer Treatment (Immunotherapy)

Discussion in 'Support' started by luckyme, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Mary97

Mary97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma but diagnosed with otosclerosis
      Ultimately it's up to you, not your family.. What a fucking shame it all is. Hugs to you. You feel like a friend I haven't met yet and your loss will be felt by many.

If you can, try to get through another day, then another day, then another day, then another...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hey @luckyme.

How are you man? I hope you started your medication again.

Best regards.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      I have tinnitus, hyperacusis and cancer myself, it’s a lot - I know. Hang in there brother. Seek support of loved ones as it feels right. Seek other help to manage the emotional toll, there are options. Be kind to yourself and try to accept this as much as you can while you work the problem. There is almost always some room for improvement in any medical problem. The thing with friends and family is tough, when they encourage you to go on that’s their love for you and their fear of losing you. I know it can feel almost like an insult, like they don’t understand your suffering. They are suffering too. Ultimately how you proceed is up to you and only you. I just lost lost my wife to cancer so I know both sides of this coin. As I said though, I encourage you to accept this and then seek help to try and get right with this, make peace with it and try to find the joy that can still exist in your life. You can’t make good decisions about something this important by yourself if your not in a good frame of mind. Give yourself the best chance available.

Have any of your doctors talked to you about taking something to combat the ototoxicity of the chemo drugs? I have read about managing this problem when taking Cisplatin for instance, there are some studies and trials in this area. Offhand, Melatonin and NAC come to mind along with some pharmaceuticals. Might be worth a look with your doctors. I can dig up some research if your interested. I hope you find some relief and peace with this.

Here is one example:

Preventing cisplatin induced ototoxicity by N-acetylcysteine and salicylate

Good luck with your upcoming travel, I have responded with some thoughts in that thread.

George

• Hug Hug x 4