Reactive AND Somatic Tinnitus — WTF?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jlish, Dec 5, 2019.

1. jlish
      Jaded

jlish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      26 years of loud noise
      I have medium pitched constant tinnitus in both ears.

But I also have a high pitched tinnitus in my right ear that gets louder when:

- I move my neck to either side.
      - I bend/duck down.
      - I press on my jaw.
      - I press on my temple near my ear.

And it also reacts immediately to any sound: typing, my voice, footsteps, etc.

That is also the side that my jaw clicks on (but doesn't cause pain).

I get that some people have somatic tinnitus, and some people have reactive tinnitus. I know this is vague, but I am curious if anyone has any inkling as to what the hell is going on? I am not expecting to be cured, but am more so just as to what the hell is causing this.

All of this came on after a week of loud events, which is why I doubt it has anything to do with TMJ.

Thanks for any replies, even if you're just as confused as I am. :dunno:

2. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang
      I basically have the same things like you, but my Tinnitus is not as reactive to sounds as yours - Maybe it's because your Tinnitus is still quite fresh, and your ears are still hearing, since the time you have acquired Tinnitus.

Many people (Including me) have one ear Tinnitus louder than the other.. I guess your right ear was damaged more than the left one, during the weak of loud events that you mentioned. But, it is rather unusual to have just one somatic ear.. People usually have either somatic Tinnitus in both ears, or not.

I know very little, but you asked for any answer, so there you go :D I'm 100% sure, you won't have to live long with this Tinnitus, if you will try different things that could help.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Same here. Somatic T, and along my other sounds, I've had one that's higly reactive to external frequencies. Since my T is induced by neck trauma, there apparently is a relationship.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Mine is somatic and reactive 5 days out of 7, but a steady ringing for the other two days. Which is actually a welcome relief.

I still have somatic sounds during the ringing, but the reactive hissing gives way to the ringing when it comes along.

It would be so much simpler if there was just one cause leading to one set of symptoms, wouldn't it?

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Mine is reactive to sounds of similar frequency to my hearing loss, and involves somatic input given I can modulate/ suppress my tinnitus with things such as clenching teeth and touching my face.

• Like Like x 1