Reactive Tinnitus? Distortion of White Noise

Discussion in 'Support' started by joshlar, May 19, 2018.

1. joshlar

joshlar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Hidden hearing loss/Anxiety ?
      Hello Everyone,

I have bilateral tinnitus for nearly 2 moths now after repetitive flu/sickness. My ENT diagnosed me with ETD as I have pressure in my ears and a "perfect" audiogram (0 to 12 kHz).

My tinnitus is mild and I can barely hear it in silence and sometimes even disappears (for 1 hour...). As my ENT told me that I had no hearing loss and that my tinnitus was due to my ETD I went clubbing 3 times the last 2 months, 2 times with ear plugs and one time without.

I started to notice a week ago that car sounds, shower and all type of white noises are distorted as I can hear a ringing, morse code like noise within those sounds.

After reading literally every topic on this forum concerning these distortions I am confused about the exact nature of my situation.

In my understanding what people call reactive tinnitus is their tinnitus going up in volume as their hear certain sounds.

In my case the sound I hear within the white noise/car engines/shower is not my usual tinnitus sound, I have read posts of @Michael Leigh that it could be hypersensitivity to sound (hyperacusis?). I am also suspecting that it could be TTTS as I feel tightness in my right ear (no pain) since the last time I went out (with earplugs). I am not 100% sure but my situation seems to fade as I calm down and put my awareness in something else.

Could someone with similar experience help me please?

I am under huge stress right now and really severe anxiety. I don't want to live with this condition, I couldn't bear silence at first and now I cant bear showering or being on the streets.
      Does this eventually go away? I am under Benzos, Neurontin and Solupred (for the ETD that seems to last)

PS: Sorry for my English. I am French so I may have done a few mistakes in my post.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @joshlar

Your post is well written. You haven't had tinnitus long and if I were you, I'd try "not" to self diagnose although I realize that you want answers. Therefore, please take the advice of your ENT doctor for now as he/she is the professional in this area. The symptoms that you explain can be experienced with ETD so try and relax and wait and see how things pan out for as I've said, you are new to tinnitus. Your tinnitus and symptoms are likely to improve with time. I advise that you do not expose yourself to overly loud sounds even with earplugs. The reason being, if external sound is loud enough it can be transfered to your inner ear by Bone Conduction. This is when sound will pass through your head/skull which no hearing protection can prevent if sound is too loud.

Give it time and wait and see what your ENT doctor recommends regarding treatment. Please read my posts: Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis, As I see it, on my "Started Threads".

I wish you well
      Michael

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Alex Von Barbier

Alex Von Barbier Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @joshlar,

I am having the exact same symptoms for a couple of months now! I know you posted this 3 years ago.

Did yours ever go away? I have been so incredibly stressed out over this!