Reactive Tinnitus Gone? What's Happening to Me?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ampumpkin, Sep 8, 2014.

1. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      Hello,

Just a quick recap of my T. Cause: ototoxic meds. 100% habituated from 2007 until May 2014. Relapse in May 2014 due to another set of ototoxic meds.

Ok well in 2007, when my T first started, it was what we call "reactive", around certain sounds. The reactive component of it went away as my habituation process went along. For 7 years, it was not reactive anymore.

Fast forward May 2014, my reactive T comes back full force, much louder than in 2007 and impossible to mask (in city traffic, car, when I was turning out the water faucet, in public transport).

Fast forward September 2014... My reactive T is GONE.

Yes GONE. What's up with that?! I parked my car this morning and was walking towards the bus. Usually, my reactive T is throught the roof when I do this specifically.

I "listened" to it. Gone. No reactivity, nothing.

I got to the train station. Lots of people talking made my T react. Nothing, no reaction.

I am sitting at my desk in the office where the ventilation system usually makes my T react as well.

Guess what? Nothing. The surrounding sounds mask my T completely and I hear nothing in my head. Note that my T is between 50 and 60 db.

What's happening to me?? Seriously? Last week, my T disappeared completely for an hour, now my reactive T is gone.

To be honest, I almost find it scary! I hope nothing is wrong with my head and / or body.

I just wanted to share this. I'll update you if it comes back.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I must mention that I slept much more last night and the night before. Also ran 7 miles yesterday morning at a local marathon. T spiked after the run but calmed down during the day.

I am really puzzled by all this. I hope it's not a tumor.

• Creative Creative x 1
    3. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @ampumpkin
      That sounds brilliant to me. Somehow your brain does not want to be trapped in a t loop. Breaks like that, then extensions of breaks like that seems that this would be all a good thing.
      Yes, I find sleep and exercise is cumulative in its good effects.
      I would say try not to panic. Enjoy the breaks and don't be scared to have hope for silence in your future! :)
      p.s. I have heard a few stories of the reactivity of t going down as time passes. That is encouraging for me as I have reactive t to traffic, fans, ventilators, running water and all similar static sounds around the same frequency as my t.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lisa88 my T used to react to the exact same sounds as you... it's so weird...!!

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      One thing about T is its unpredictability. Great to hear that your T is gone. Hope it stays that way for you.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @billie48 my T is not gone. In silence and in general, it's still much louder than from 2007 until 2014.. but at least, I can mask it during the day and have breaks, which helps in habituating. The reactive T could never be masked and always reminded me that T was there :(

Anyway, it's weird how this happens exactly 4 months after finishing the meds that caused my relapse!

7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I would even say that your T is gonna fade back to what it was as time goes on... Sometimes spikes can take awhile to go back down.. So you never know that what you consider a relapse might just be a spike!! Glad your reactive T left... So maybe now its just gettin better and youl wake up with T lower :) its good to hope at least.. And if not like you said at least its maskable!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Grace this is the first spike I've ever had...

To be honest, I've had T for so long that I don't think I wish for it to disappear. If it can stay at that level all my life, I can live with it....

9. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi ampumkin,

I think what's really important is the trend. That your Reactive T is gone. That is, your T condition is getting better rather than worse. If I were you I would feel really optimistic and encouraged because of that. That fact should also reduce your anxiety and stress levels which might help to reduce your T level even more.
      I experienced the worst spike in over 30 years earlier this year. I'm almost back to my baseline now. It just takes time.
      Good Luck!!

10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah mine seems similar to you.. I havent experienced a spike yet-- knock on wood--- although im getting my T cleaned tommorow and pray to god ill be okay!!