Reactive Tinnitus to Vibration (Power Tools, Low-Frequency Sounds)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sam Marksmen, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      Hello. Anytime I'm exposed to power tools, low sounds that travel through the house, driving, I get a spike that never returns to baseline.

I've read extensively here and although some people can drive with or without hearing protection, a small percentage can't be exposed to anything that vibrates. I've been stuck at home for over 2 months.

I just had a riding lawnmower pass underneath (I'm on second floor) house with windows closed and my ear is now ringing like crazy.

Are there any of you like this and want to share you story? It's horrible. I'm trapped and it seems my life is over as I knew it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Joe Cuber
      Irritated

Joe Cuber Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My guess is long-term noise exposure from earbuds
      Hi Sam - Just wanted to reply to your post, I'm hoping someone with your same experience sees your thread.

I have reactive tinnitus, some days worse than others. I haven't experienced what you're describing, well, yet at least. Mine only reacts to external noises, like road noise, birds, high-pitched noises like squeaky shopping cart wheels. When I remove myself from the noise, my tinnitus returns to baseline.

Does ear protection help any by chance?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      Hey Joe, where are you going with those plugs in your hands?

Yes, today I used a small electric vacuum with my Peltor 32 dB NRR and I'm having a spike now. You have reactive tinnitus and people have triggers like you mentioned.

Now I read the body and head attenuate 80 dB and 50 dB, respectively. I'm guessing my hair is too long and maybe I'm not getting the full protection. This vacuum seemed to have little vibration and was 77 dB. Which makes me think it's vibrations.

4. Joe Cuber
      Irritated

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey there Sam, you know, I'm not sure where I'm going, probably around in circles. That's the way my weeks go in any case.

Now that you mention it, I think I probably do respond to vibration. I'm not entirely sure. When I hear things like birds chirping or cars driving down, my tinnitus reacts, but then it settles down a bit later. However, when I go on a sufficiently long drive, say 25 minutes or more, I get a spike that doesn't settle down for the rest of that day.

When you say that your spike doesn't return to baseline, is that within the day? Do you go back to baseline when you wake up the next day?

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      Hey there. So no, my baseline doesn't seem to go down to normal. Like today my ear is still ringing like mad from vacuuming yesterday and I suspect like other times baseline is increased permanently. Ringing started right after vacuuming and it was a dinky Amazon one. Unless it was the sound, it seems like vibration. It's very reactive. Birds chirping and wind and stuff doesn't set it off.

But I do have hyperacusis at times. People talking hurts and even birds chirping.

Driving in the car is my biggest problem and I'm wondering if yours isn't related to vibration as well? That will happen but mine doesn't settle down. The thing to ask oneself is how loud really is the car? Opinions change on whether to use an A weighted or C weighted. If you choose the latter, the dB can go into high 90s. That would be sound related tinnitus. I just know touching the handle did something, I think.

6. Joe Cuber
      Irritated

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very interesting, I do suspect that I react to vibration. I'll keep observing to see if I can narrow in on that. I do know that if I'm in a car ride for a short duration, I don't get a spike.

I have to ask this but I'm sure you're not imagining the increase in baseline, are you, like do you think your paying attention to it is causing an undue increase in perception or anything?