Recommendation Needed for a Sound Tolerable Smartphone

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marc22, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Friends:

I may need to buy a smartphone, not that I really want to. Problem is that most of those that I have used for a while, borrowed from someone, give off a very tinny kind of sound which is awful to my ears. Any kind of tinny sound from an old TV, a computer speaker etc... wreaks havoc on my ears irrespective of the volume. Sound from old phones in offices, homes etc... if they still exist to a great extent do not have that effect on me, because their sounds are "cleaner". Usually I can talk on a good phone from 30 to 45 minutes, and I would not want to have to subject myself to a portable phone which would not only reduce my ability to use a phone but would set me back constantly for all other sounds.

Can anyone recommend a smartphone that gives off a less tinny cleaner sound?

Lorrie

2. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      For short calls, I usually use the speaker on mine--it's still tinny but I can at least keep the phone away from my ear. If you expect to have regular long phone calls, I would actually invest in a small speaker that you can plug your phone into, e.g., something like a small PC speaker that will have a more balanced frequency response. I currently will plug my phone into my desk stereo for long calls--ends up being much easier on the ears overall (it also makes your phone "hands-free").

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MSF: Thanks.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Now that I am thinking more seriously about buying a mobile phone, I am realising that I might be putting myself in as much danger in using such phones as I did when I used to listen to TV, or listening to music on cheap computer speakers.

Really I have had major setbacks just by listening to such tinny instruments for short times. So I am asking: do any of you, like me, get really affected by tinny sounds, and does that limit your time on smartphones, and , if so, to how much? Are some of you unable to use these portable phones at all?

I just read an article about smartphones and the tinny quality is a designed result to lower costs or something. See Wikipedia: Smartphones, section on sound quality.

Marco