Relapse: Sand Sound When I Swallow

Discussion in 'Support' started by PaulFi, Feb 20, 2019.

1. PaulFi

PaulFi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Medication
      Hi all.

Living with tinnitus about 8 years and had completely habituated. Had a relapse three months ago and going through the process again.

In addition to the tinnitus sounds I have this additional sound on my left side when I swallow and when I turn my head sideways or tilt it back. It sounds like sand moving or tiny crystals moving when I make these two movements. They only happen on my left side and appear to come from my ear/throat area.

Has anyone else had or have a similar experience?

Thanks guys
      Paul

• Creative Creative x 1
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      When I swallow it sounds like I have sand in my right ear. Both ears are also really crackly have been for years. I thought that was normal with Tinnitus? Or am I really wrong?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PaulFi

PaulFi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Medication
      Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the same sound is something to do with the eustachian tube as it comes when I swallow. Is this possible? I also cannot pop my ears when holding my nose closed and breathing out through it.
      Does the sand sound go away. I never had this sound for the previous 8 years I had tinnitus? I also get it when yawning. Anyone have anything similar?

Paul

5. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      Mine has never gone away, its only ever been in my right ear though and its been like that for about 7 years now. I also have major crackling. I think it has something to do with ETD but i could be wrong.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PaulFi

PaulFi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Medication
      Thanks Fally. Does yours bother you at all after seven years? I was with the ENG today, not a whole lot of new information. He said it could possibly be ETD but didn't seem convinved. Have me a steroid nasal spray to take for a month. I cannot pop my ears anyway which is a bit unusual. Can you pop yours?

7. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      The sand not so much, i find it odly a comfort. The crackling however still annoys the hell out of me all these years later, nothing i can do though. Nasal sprays don't really help me unfortunately. I cant really pop mine either, but ive stopped trying because ive heard it can make things worse. I just kind of let them be now which sucks.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PaulFi

PaulFi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Medication
      A comfort lol ! I havnt right that point yet!! Do you get it just from swallowing? I get it also from yawning and moving my head to the side.
      Didn't know popping the ears could make it worse. How's your T ?

9. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      Everytime i swallow it crackles. Its like having a chip packet in my ears. Mind doesnt do that from side to said, yawning a little.

At the moment not great, got worse this week so its a bit all over the place, I also have fluid currently in my ears which is not helping.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PaulFi

PaulFi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Medication

Hi Fally,

What test is done by doctor or consultant if there is fluid in the ears?

11. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      Normally they just look in my ears with there ear thingy, not sure what its called. Apparently they can see it. One doctor told me my eardrum was bulging due to the fluid behind it. I get a lot of sinus issues so not all the surprising.