Reminder to Self--Don't Minimize!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ann C., Jul 27, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Ann C.

Ann C. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      I just scheduled a visit to my primary care provider to talk about my tinnitus. Of course, today the ringing seem less pronounced. Placebo effect? My ears still feel clogged up, though.

I have a tendency to minimize my symptoms, and, like most medical professionals, she doesn't get too worried about anything unless it's a life-threatening condition. :)

I need to be specific and clear with her about how annoying this condition is. Although I'm hopeful that impacted ear wax is the cause, I hope she'll give me a referral to an ENT if removing the wax doesn't stop the ringing.

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I can't repeat your words enough, when dealing with Medical people DON'T MINIMIZE! ("Capitalize" on not minimizing).

They take minimizing to mean coping, every time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      With tinnitus, if you minimize you are fine and coping, if you don't minimize then you have a mental problem.

Don't expect understanding.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1