Research Aims to Reverse Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Research News' started by skoupidis, Feb 17, 2015.

1. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      So, there are currently 2 well known researches that are aiming in reversing hearing loss and have demonstrated postitive results in animals:

1) The regeneration of hair cells in the inner ear, by Hinrich Staecker (Novartis).

2) The regeneration of the synaptic connections between hair cells and neurons (Gabriel Corfas, University of Michigan’s Kresge Hearing Research Institute).

The first one seems to be on first trial testing in humans, the next is still on animal testing.
      An interesting article about the hypothetical plus and minuses of both therapies can be found here:

http://www.claimseval.com/research-aims-to-reverse-noise-induced-hearing-loss/

The issue of Tinnitus is not mentioned in them, we still have to assume that it is connected to the hearing restoration. Theoretically it could be abolished when and if hearing is restored. Any guess is just a guess at this point. We will know if one or both of these experimental treatments actually work in human beings and how successfully do they restore hearing.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. jellyrajah

jellyrajah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      I would hope that by 2020 - 2025 there will be a more significant amount of information available regarding these treatments and whether they are viable in humans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I'm curious if anyone has any more information than what I have read. It seems like the Hearing Health foundation has lots of universities working on a cure for hearing loss. Stanford is saying a biological cure is maybe 10 years away. Then you have the private companies like Novartis working on a cure also. Last I read they are saying in 5 years they should be able to give back partial hearing with the CGF166 compound. Then there are other private companies like Audion also working on a cure saying they have identified several compounds that can regenerate hair cells. Any guesses as to who is going to get there first. Did they all make the same discoveries or are they different? I'm trying to learn as much as possible to see if we really are 5 to 10 years away. thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc