Ringing intensifies - then dissipates

Discussion in 'Support' started by jmccombs82, Nov 10, 2013.

    1. jmccombs82

      jmccombs82 Member

      Tinnitus Since:
      October 29, 2013 at 10AM
      I have noticed that my ringing is changing volume. Yesterday, for example, it was almost non-existent and then last night when I was trying to fall asleep it became really loud in both ears. I started to panic and it make the noise louder. I then started to breath calmly and (attempted) to try some sort of music and the ringing became quieter. The ringing continued all evening and this morning I woke up and the ringing is even more visible. My body feels a bit panicked and I wonder if that contributes to it.

      I am feeling really sad at the moment. I had a bike ride scheduled with friends this morning but ended up canceling it because I felt unstable. I am still in the very beginning stages of this ear ringing business and feel incredibly vulnerable and scared. I have yet to find what works for me and there is part of me that is avoiding the search because I don't want to admit that this is a permanent thing.

      I am finding that if I place an ear plug in one ear it makes the ringing somewhat less. It somehow manages to decrease the high pitched noise coming out of my hear.

      I have 1 day left of prednisone and fear that this "virus" has placed a permanent ringing in my ears. Yesterday I felt so good...thinking that the ear ringing was going away and know I feel defeated all over again.

      I don't want to say I don't have the coping skills to manage this...it is just that this is the first health issue that I have been faced with that has lasted this long.

      I could use some support, encouragement, and understanding right now. Anything to lighten my heart :)

      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Lulubug69

      Lulubug69 Member

      Tinnitus Since:
      I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. You are not alone. T is a very tricky thing. I have had a similar experience in that I had a head cold/virus at the onset of my T. Mine was a few days of intense High pitch that I thought I would lose it. I finally realized that by getting anxious about it, that it made it worse. First by increasing my anxiety and also it made it seem louder. So I started being proactive about what I could do about it. I first did anything I could to mask it (not over mask it). I played music, turned on the TV. It gives you something else to focus on. I'm now able to sit in a room and not pay attention to it. Too much focus on the sound gives it energy. If I sit and listen to the sound in my ear, it seems to get louder. So I choose to listen to something else. Does anything give you peace at all, a shower, a walk outside with outside noises? If so try and do that often. I fought the T also, I took my meds as I was told I did everything right but I unfortunately have T. That's not to say it's here to stay, but it could be. I have decided to accept that's it's here now and that I will be proactive with regard to it. I've read a lot of the information here. I've tried a lot of what works for others. We may not be able to control the noise but our reaction to it and our feelings about it are ours. It's not easy. I still have my moments, I'm still pretty new here, but already I'm able to do things I love, and sometimes I forget about the noise and go hours without realizing it's still there. You can get there.
      Maybe if you can accept that it's there, for now, you can try some of things others have. Like to mask or take supplements or even see someone to help you cope with the stresses of T. I wish you well.
      • Like Like x 1

Share This Page