Ringing Out of the Blue

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gertie, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Gertie

Gertie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I'm not exactly sure what or why I have this, it started about 5 weeks ago. I was 3 weeks out of acl surgery just doing my exercises and my right ear started ringing. I figured whatever was causing it would present itself but after 2 weeks I finally went to the doctor, he said I had impacted ear wax, cleaned it out and sent me to an ent. Audio gram showed some slight high frequency hearing loss but that's it. He told me I have tinnitus and go home get some masking apps and learn to live with it. I have days where I don't notice it because I am so busy but always notice it as soon as I go to bed. Other days it's really high pitched and I will put in ear buds and listen to a masker but it causes me high anxiety sometimes. I just think its weird to get this for no reason. Anyway I don't hold out hope of it going away but I see where you learn to live with it and hardly notice, is that true? Also wondering if anyone has had success with those lipoflavonoids I see advertised. Thanks for any positive feedback,

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Gertie, and welcome!

Many of us have had our tinnitus start "out of the blue", and there are no definitive answers for what might have caused it. Yes, it is true that you can habituate after you've had tinnitus for awhile. It usually is at its worst right at the beginning, so the best things you can do are to get a good night's sleep when possible, eat a healthy diet, exercise, and try some of the tried and true supplements that most of us have found work for us. You might try niacin, B vitamins, magnesium, vitamin D3, pharma GABA, and melatonin. For people with inflammation, systemic enzymes, such as Wobenzym, are effective. Other people may have additional suggestions. One supplement to try is N-acetylcistene, which is supposed to help calm tinnitus. I haven't tried it yet myself, but others may have comments on its effectiveness.

As for Lipoflavonoid, most people who try it say it doesn't really help. There are a few exceptions, however, but for most it isn't effective.

Habituation is a process that varies with the individual. The more you can live your life normally and try to put tinnitus in the background, the more quickly you will habituate. At least, that's how it has been for me.

We're glad you've joined us, and hope you'll read some of the many posts on this forum with helpful information.

Best wishes and hugs,
      Karen

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Try to manage the anxiety look up foods to help gaba there is and I mean alot of things to try for T but a few few key supplements and better eating habits ,exercise and like the other post go on living is the best way to go.Melatonin sr helps me sleep but I think I made the mistake of going to a pshc. dr now I am taking klodipin .5 mg per day the last 20 days also he had me on a anti depressant I've tappered of it now starting to do the same for the benzos .Try not to go down this road .I would suggest have something incase of anxiety attack but only then take it . Good Luck Mike (uncle vikin)

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome. As Karen says, tinnitus can come out of the blue without obvious reason. Right now, it is important to face this reality and try to manage it as best as we can. You are so new with T and yet you have days you can't hear your T when busily distracted. That is a good sign. Given time, you should have more and more of those time you can't hear your T. Masking it is a good idea if you get too anxious when you hear it. When T is new, many people need to do this to avoid too much anxiety over T. Also try read the success stories to give you hope that you can recover and live a normal life like those writing the success stories. Learn some insights how these posters get better over time. Take care.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gertie

Gertie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thank you for the responses, I will look into this gaba I'm not sure what that is, I just want to habituate quickly but I have read it can take months.

6. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Were you taking any prescription meds after surgery or for any other medical condition? (If you don't mind me asking)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gertie

Gertie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      The day of surgery they gave me Valium and Oxycontin and an antibiotic. I had a nerve block injection into my femoral artery. After surgery I was on percocet for about 6 days.

8. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Try "White Noise Lite" app (available for both iPhone and Android)... Mix crickets, stream, thunder, and wind... Works wonders for masking for sleep.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gertie

Gertie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I have that app and it has helped at night for sure