Role of microRNA‑375‑3p‑Mediated Regulation in Tinnitus Development

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Glenn1999, May 28, 2021.

1. Glenn1999

Glenn1999 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It sounds like good stuff but I am not a physician and really don't understand it. Is there anyone that can explain this and if it is good news?

Role of microRNA‑375‑3p‑mediated regulation in tinnitus development

Abstract
      Changes in the dorsal cochlear nucleus (DCN) following exposure to noise play an important role in the development of tinnitus. As the development of several diseases is known to be associated with microRNAs (miRNAs/miRs), the aim of the present study was to identify the miRNAs that may be implicated in pathogenic changes in the DCN, resulting in tinnitus. A previously developed tinnitus animal model was used for this study.

The study consisted of four stages, including identification of candidate miRNAs involved in tinnitus development using miRNA microarray analysis, validation of miRNA expression using reverse transcription‑quantitative PCR (RT‑qPCR), evaluation of the effects of candidate miRNA overexpression on tinnitus development through injection of a candidate miRNA mimic or mimic negative control, and target prediction of candidate miRNAs using mRNA microarray analysis and western blotting.

The miRNA microarray and RT‑qPCR analyses revealed that miR‑375‑3p expression was significantly reduced in the tinnitus group compared with that in the non‑tinnitus group. Additionally, miR‑375‑3p overexpression via injection of miR‑375‑3p mimic reduced the proportion of animals with persistent tinnitus. Based on mRNA microarray and western blot analyses, connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) was identified as a potential target for miR‑375‑3p.

Thus, it was inferred that CTGF downregulation by miR‑375‑3p may weaken with the decrease in miRNA expression, and the increased pro‑apoptotic activity of CTGF may result in more severe neuronal damage, contributing to tinnitus development.

These findings are expected to contribute significantly to the development of a novel therapeutic approach to tinnitus, thereby bringing about a significant breakthrough in the treatment of this potentially debilitating condition.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. Pete88

Pete88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely noise
      I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems like they are suggesting that a therapy for tinnitus can be created by introducing specific RNA, which may fill a void which is responsible for the tinnitus reaction some people have?

• Like Like x 2
    3. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Thanks for enlightening us with this article @Glenn1999. Though my expertise is not even remotely connected to the medical field, to me it seems that the issue of microRNA misbalance is a piece of the puzzle behind the tinnitus pathology. Hopefully the Korean researchers will expand their studies in clinical trials with humans to see whether their hypothesis checks out or not.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      As I’ve stated in a few posts already, I believe mRNA is the future of medicine. I didn’t really see how it could be applied to tinnitus and related conditions but this article seems to bridge the gap. I’m hopeful that given this new info and the prevalence of mRNA research at the moment, a novel treatment may come to market sooner than otherwise believed.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Pete88

Pete88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely noise
      Yeah the thing about mRNA, from my understanding, is that it's relatively simple to program your desired result. This means that the process of trial and error can be greatly expedited. This means zeroing in on medical fixes can occur much much faster.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. asey20
      Buzzed

asey20 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 13, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Just to clarify on any confusion, miRNA (micro RNA) and mRNA (messenger RNA) are not the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Correct, but they are related. The relationship is many to many. mRNA is still possibly relevant to the article as a way of introducing coding.

• Agree Agree x 2