Rozerem

Discussion in 'Support' started by ruben ruiz, Jun 26, 2015.

1. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      A newer sleep med. It's called a hypnotic. It isn't addictive. It's mild. Yet it can be part of a cocktail.
      I dumped it for Trazodone, things seem better for now. It also works on your circadian clock, get you back on a reasonable schedule.

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @ruben ruiz: I took Rozerem for about four months. There is no generic, so it was a little expensive -- about $60 out of pocket a month, with insurance coverage. I was drawn to it because like you said, its not addictive.

Rozerem basically is pharmaceutical-grade melatonin. My doctor eventually suggested that a good-sized hit (5 to 10 mg) of over the counter melatonin would do the same thing for a lot less and basically, that's been true for me. The secret to melatonin (and Rozerem) is you need to take it about 60 to 90 minutes before you want to sleep, not 30 minutes.

Sadly, for me, neither Rozerem nor melatonin are a long-term solution. It works for, maybe, up to a month. Then it just stops being effective. If it works for you, that's great. As you said, it can be mixed with other medications.

Also, a caveat: Although melatonin is sold as a supplement, its pretty potent and tinkering with your brain chemistry. A lot of doctors now warn against higher doses (such as what I take). It can give you headaches and super crazy dreams.

3. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey LadyDi, so correct me if I am wrong but you said the medication worked for a month and then stopped? Did it help with tinnitus?

According to this .pdf it is supposed to come off patent in 2019:
      https://www.pti-nps.com/nps/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/NPS_Drugs-Coming-Off-Patent-by-2022-Web.pdf

Hey Ruben, did it help any with the tinnitus?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I can't remember if I took Rozerem? I'm going full circle...

5. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyone here take Rozerem/Ramelteon for sleep? Any success with good sleep? I am taking Trazodone which is ototoxic and want to switch to something else.