Saying Goodbye for a Bit....

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kathi, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      You all know how much I like and appreciate everyone. I'm going to take a break from the board for a long while. I learned many things here at TT--mostly, how to live with moderate to severe tinnitus--and I am living. Thanks to this board and it's support I am able to manage my tinnitus. I am in my 15th month of tinnitus and I mostly have my life back. I work every day--though sometimes it is a challenge as my office is quiet and I am not 100% habituated--maybe 75% because the noise no longer causes me any emotional reaction. I make myself live as I lived before tinnitus and it's working. The mornings are tough sometimes because sleep seems to reset tinnitus but mostly, I'm okay with the noise now. I've talked with a few people who have 24/7 tinnitus and they say it keeps getting better. I believe that in a few years I will be 100% habituated or at least close.

I want to thank @Markku and the admins, @cullenbohannon, who always had good advice, @billie48 , who is an angel for us newbies and others like @Karen, @LadyDi , who are always supportive. I especially want to thank @click, who helped me when I first posted in the early dark days and @Dr. Nagler, who answered all my questions candidly and did not sugarcoat anything--he also supported me probably more than he knows because I followed his advice--get a strategy, follow it through and be flexible-- if it doesn't work, try something else.. @Dr. Hubbard helped by reinforcing what learned in CBT. I will probably do relaxation exercises and meditations the rest of my life. What I once considered New Agey is now part of my daily regimen to relieve my anxiety. I also want to tell @I who love music that his advice works. Also, I really want to say to @jimH that he was right many months ago--the brain does develop a sort of callous to the noise.

It's a long journey -- but I'm still here with my feet on the trail because TT was here. I'll check in sporadically. I am sorry to not check in everyday but I think it's best for me right now not to think about my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Cheers and hugs.

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Kathi,

Thanks for letting us know you're taking a break from Tinnitus Talk for awhile. I think you've come a long way, and we're glad we've been a help to you. You need to do what is best for you, and taking a break may be just what you need to take that next step on the road to habituation.

Good luck, and I'll look forward to hearing from you again when you check in.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Have not talked to you ,but I have had T only 5 months I'm still in the race someday I hope to reach where you are. I second what you say about TT this is a place where you can survive tinnitus it is a safe haven for the beginning stage of T.Kathi I'd say within 3 months you will be alot better . Hope and Pray for you that it gets better and better. Mike

5. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Good luck and hugs! :) :)