Scared — Can't Cope with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa Robinson, Oct 19, 2014.

1. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      But it lasted only for seconds or so?

No need to worry about MD. You are not diagnosed with it so there is hope this is something else.

And there is life with MD, believe me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Less than a minute is lasted. Got over it quickly and didn't fall down. Realised pressure from my ears for a bit too. My jaw hurts a bit because of the steriod injection.

3. J Cowan Hill
      Fine

J Cowan Hill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1982-2001
      When my tinnitus was bad, I felt dizzy for a few months and would wince in pain if someone dropped a piece of cutlery on the sink. I am fine now. I regard dizziness as a symptom of overwhelm. Helping to get your bearings in the body can really help this spinning/dizziness/floatiness to settle. I recommend finding a good body-based practitioner to help ground your system. If you practice body-based focussing or learn how to do this in yoga then you can do it yourself. It is temporary, if you look after yourself and get support especially helping your nervous system to settle this could really help.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Hey Lisa, it's great to hear someone who has the same experiences with T as I do (although again it's not because it's horrible for you!) I too had the whole 'TV static' I called it, not that anyone knew what I ment by it though =p Had dizzy spells & on/off echoing in my right ear when someone was talking to me, suffice to say it drove me insane :( The GP here in England gave me tablets for MD but those didn't help. After a while it calmed down on its own when I started jogging & trying to keep a clear mind (We all know how difficult that can be!) Now the robotic voices are no more & the 'TV static' is so quiet I barely hear it. Hang in there o/

P.S - Snap on the Tinnitus Since date ^_^

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Hello, it's frustrating isant it?
      The tv static sound has cleared of well getting there anyway. My hearing is fine so far touch wood it stays that way. Dizzy spells well hardly ever get them so today was strange I felt really blocked and was boiling outside when it happened. Actually happened after I ate food. Was lucky I sat down and passed quickly. Starting my steriod tablets tomorrow for some infection I apparently may have. Australia hasn't done good for me :(

6. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Eugh, can only imagine having this whilst being in Australia, not good, I enjoy the cold. Very frustrating & isolating, soon became very unsocial very quickly :( Could be some form of sinus related problem though, I know the ear pooping symptoms are related to it & especially since you're in a new & much more humid environment, have you looked into this?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Apparently I have chronic sinuses which I didn't really know or understand much about. I thought you got that when you have a cold or flu only? My mum gets it without a cold she said to me over a message the other week. She had it for two weeks straight nearly. Has for years but never noticed she didn't have a cold with it. Also my lymph nobes and tonsils are swollen too.

8. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      What is MD?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      menieres disease

10. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Ok thanks. 2 of my colleges have it and also have T and the are very happy persons. Learnt to live with it.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Wow that is spooky :) I even remember how I got it which was when I was in the car late at night and my ears popped hard and hurt and steam hissing sound came out. Then when to a recording studio place with my friend for her song for a couple of hours no ear plugs and had it ever since :(
      Wasn't even that loud but audiologist said anything could of triggered it. I regret that night ever since.

12. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Yup, I remember nerding it out playing Skyrim with a nice glass of whisky, had my surround sound all set up, hitting the pause button & hearing a like hmm.. metallic hitting noise, like a hammer hitting an anvil (hard to describe much ^_^) Ofc, thought it was just in the game or something. After shutting it down to go bed I could hear the dreaded T, I remember saying to myself "This is going to change your life" (I can get rather anxious quickly in regards to health) & alas.. here I am 1 year on -_-. If only you could go back right? Best not to think that way though, it's a long spiral down & an even harder one to climb!

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I remember soneone said on here recently that tinnitus gets worse when a storm is coming? Adelaide is having an awful storm that has had in years. Got videos of the Thunder and Lightning.

14. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      It's a valid point actually, I always feel fidgety & energized during a storm, perhaps the static in the air increases brain activity & thus affects T...

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I have felt better today and hope I feel it for a long time too. Last night I managed to sleep without my masking sound.

16. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Few of us on site have said air pressure affects T ,me and Karen both ,you know what UK 's weather is like Lisa not always the best ,I find rain and wind is the pits for T ,my ears go high ,can get days straight with it ,others south of UK say this and weather and their T ,so must be others over UK saying the same ,on weather side to T .
      Glad your having better day ,get a bit of respite if anything ,all need those days lighter T ,recharge ones batteries .
      How long before back in Blighty ? Aussie in to there summer ,maybe that's why your having better day .?
      Nice to get good nights sleep ,that's great . Takecare and enjoy your day today ,get out and about ,make most of it .

17. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
    18. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have my dads old barometer right next to my computer and when it starts to change to a lower pressure variance I know my Ts are going to rock.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Uk but but on holiday here till feb. Had to cut it short because of ear problems :(

@valeri

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Does anxiety really trigger T? Any proof?

Haven't had good night very angry being here in Australia. Mainly because of people and my tinnitus is worse after being annoyed.

21. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Anxiety can raise the T levels up,I don't think anxiety causes it ,at least I've not heard that as a run up to it .Stress and anxiety go together ,hand in hand Think if your having a bad day ,you end up having both going ,nature of T lots get it ,but it's how you get it under control is important .
      Walk away from people who stress you out ,I would for sure .Your the one with T going 24/7 not them .
      You cutting short your trip .? Shame if you do .

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Yeah I am cutting it short from people causing me pain and T keeps spiking

Just a rant but I have tmj and blocked tubes and allergies but in reality people need to understand it's the music and loudless of it. I've suffered for 12 years or more with tmj and allergies and only had T a year so don't think a lot of things recently have anything to do with my T just music I guess. I think it upsets people to know it could be permanent damage and music is the problem. What I have come to terms with past week. :(

23. shenandoah

shenandoah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The same thing happened to me last year. I freaked out of course, scoured the internet and didn't find anything substantive. Background I have tinnitus and hyperacusis. Anyways, it began in the morning and the music in my car sounded funny and modulated with a robotic echo. It even occurred when I spoke. So I made an effort to calm down and breathe, and for the remainder of the day I made sure to speak very quietly so as to not pass the threshold of activating that robotic sound. The following day I began to incorporate sound and music but at a very minimal level. Didn't elevate my voice but allowed sound to come into my ear a little louder than the day before. The robotic sound didn't come back and the following day I increased the volume of sound w/ my voice and music and never heard it again. The next day I was back listening to sounds as if the robotic thing never happened.
      So in short, relax, when you hear the robotic sound (most likely in the morning) try to not produce it again the remainder of the day and then slowly reintegrate sound again.
      An aside I was taking magnesium and multi-vitamins for about a week before. I don't know if it was related but I then stopped taking them, mostly out of paranoia but who knows maybe there was a connection.,

24. Valery

Valery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1990
      Am going off topic here a bit, but you never know what might help. My son had constant problems with blocked eustachian tubes for many years and was just given medication for the problem, until one brilliant doctor suggested that he might have a food allergy. Doc said most common one that affected tubes was milk allergy. My son then stopped all milk and milk products (such as whey) and he has not had any problems with eustachion tubes since. So you might have a combination of problems going on here. Besides seeing an ENT guy you might also consider an allergist.

25. Heathen207

Heathen207 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      tonight 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      a wake board crash blown eardrum or tooth extraction two weeks ago.
      So I am horrified!! I went to the mountain to the mountain tonight with a few friends to snowboard. I had recently had a tooth pulled and have had a numb stuffy feeling in my ear since. I have mentioned it a bunch of times to my family and figuted he wrenched me a bit when I was out. I also thought that I may have a sore jaw from missing rear teeth and my clench changing. Anyway so I'm going up the chair lift and I'm FINE! Actually I was super excited and shreddy:) so I see the off ramp and Look down for some reason. When I did..my ear popped and the ground got crazy scary and since I'm so cool and didn't even have the gate down I was instantly panicked and leaned way back and grabbed on..shook as hell! I got off and road fine to the entrance trail where we all bomb down together. So I get instant and first ever full blown anxiety attack EVER!! I mean I am the guy who has been riding my whole life, went to college for snowboarding and am really good. I mean I am NOT scared of the mountain. Its my happy place ALWAYS. So I start getting dizzy, I mean no drunk or high dizzy. I'm talking about out of body experience, 35year old father and normal healthy guy losing his mind and riding on waves OOMG it was awful scary. So I told my buddy and sat down a while shaking like a leaf and getting flashes as I turned my head and hair standing up on my neck. So they made me feel dumb cause I couldt explain correctly or lucidly what the hell was going on and I had a couple drinks and my medicinal so I'm the idiot I guess. So down they rip...flying.
      So I drop in and gi wide open to catch up all the while losing my legs and all feeling, balance and finally any self confidence. I quickly stop barley able to gain my faculties and sit down. Worst idea ever..I instanly go into the out of body thing flashing and scared I'm havinv a heart attack or anything horrible. I seriously couldn't gain the gumption to stand up let alone roll on for a half hour. After realizing it was not going away I just stood up and road perfectly to my car. I looked fine I guess but was still floating above myself or VERTIGOED right out. I got in my car and ate food, drank water and put my feet up on back head rest thinking It was blood related. Then I took my BP and it was 60 in a minute wich was really hig nut I was still horrified I was dieing. I called my mom and she came to get me and brought me home. It lasted an hour or two and went away. Now my jaw/ear hurts and have been swollen feeling. I've been reading blogs for hours and am more scared than ever. It could be temporary or old damage. I have blown my eardrum and had teeth pulled so I'm a great candidate plus I match a couple scary one related to elevation. Any ideas may help. I'm a full time single dad and builder. I oen my hoise and struggle without this noise. ?????