Scared — Can't Cope with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa Robinson, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Hello, past year I have suffered with tinnitus so that's on going tests and so on, my hearing was fine so was waiting for my therapy. I have been told I suffer with TMJ but never had any help with that, Well two months ago I came to Australia and got very home sick and my blood pressure dropped. I am now experiencing louder tinnitus and TV sounds like robot like even when some people talk, this happened over the past few days. Anyone else notice sounds sound robotic? is this forever will it calm down?

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Hi Lias,

Sorry you are suffering....although your new louder tinnitus is a non issue.

Dr Nagler has been here for a while and also backs here2help as knowing more than 99% of experts. Here is a quote from here2help....

"The extent of a person’s suffering with tinnitus has no relation to how loud it is, how soft it is, its pitch, it’s so-called reactivity, its lack of predictability, or whether it is continuous or discontinuous"

I hope this helps.

Telis.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Thanks.

I just want it to stop :( just so anxious and scared I will wake up one day without my hearing :( I panic all the time.

Can tinnitus make you go deaf or Meniere's disease?

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I don't believe tinnitus can make you go deaf...have you seen a ENT ?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Yeah back in England, waited a year for my therapy and just as I was coming to Australia for 6 months I got my appointment but was too late. I was coping with it but its worse now. Might have to go back home early to get to an ENT again since will cost me so much in Australia.

Does anyone else experience tv sounds sounding high pitched at times suddenly? pretty much like an echo of some things.

6. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Lisa,
      The sounds you describe are not typical tinnitus symptoms. You could be suffering from any number of minor issues that are causing the hearing problem. I can't imagine what would cause your blood pressure to drop, but again there could be any number of reasons. It seems pretty clear that you have anxiety as a result. You really MUST see a doctor. Even if a doctor is unable to help you, it will likely make you feel so much better to know where you stand. If you have anxiety, maybe you can at least have that treated.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I saw a doctor here last Thursday he gave me a week or two worth of Betahistine Dihydrochloride and told me they wont work but worth a try and said nothing to do for tinnitus :(

He looked at the back of my throat and said it looked red and something to do with my glands, said allergies or sign of some infection but not sure what.

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      hi Lisa,

Where in Australia are you ?
      I would see an audiologist if I were you, whilst you are trialling what your dr has given you.
      I can highly recommend Ross Dineen at Westcott and Dineen Audiology in Melbourne, along with Melbourne Audiology Fitzroy

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I am in Adelaide :(

I was reading this article about Eustachian tube bing blocked a bit like I am suffering also with the echo sounds as well and pressure in ears. The doctor mentioned my throat also. I also have polyps up my nose as well and worse with allergies. the article also said

Rapid changes of pressure
      A temporary ear blockage can be common when experiencing rapid changes of pressure as a result of changing altitude, such as:

• taking off or landing in a plane
      • driving up or down a hill or mountain
      • riding in an elevator
      • diving deep in a pool or scuba diving
      I was almost in tears because of the plane getting to Australia. I have copped with the tinnitus just the sudden voice echoing has really freaked me out :( even with I yawn it rings.

10. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Hi Lisa,

You can check older posts from me, but I had blocked eustachian tubes and when I came in a silent room I felt the pressure change immidiatly. Also I could hear my own voice very loud and echoing or somesort. I take NASONEX nosespray every day. I think it is called Mometason now. This helped get this removed. I still take it on doctor prescription to keep my eustachian tubes clear because if they are blocked, my T can heard over everything.
      Since than I'm on a good way to habitation. But it won't go away in a week or so , with me it took I think 3 to 4 weeks.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Thanks Rico, I tried to look at your profile to find your posts. Can you link me to them please :)

12. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Lisa ,I have this sounds like your Eustachian tubes are blocked,the long 23 hr flight from UK may have done this ,especially if you've got allergies along with tinnitus ,again I have this ,it feels like your deaf ,and your ears are full up .Try antihistamine ,nasal and tablet ,might just clear those tubes.Try warm cloth also to the ears may loosen it up,hope it's not spoiling your trip to Australia to much .Shame if it is ,trip of a lifetime .

13. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      Hi there, sorry to hear you suffer. In T-Talk you will find lot of opinions saying "think positive", "it´s just a sound", " ... stuff like that. I do think suffering from tinnitus (or Meniere´s disease) is real and not a matter of attitude. Meniere´s disease isnt the nicest syndrome around, too. ( i am suffering from it myself)

MD can make you go deaf. I have lost a lot of my hearing in my affected ear. Hearing goes = Tinnitus feels/gets a lot louder = more problems (my school of though this one).

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      can a audiologist tell if you have Meniere's disease? I have had a MRI and no tumor or hearing loss so far I think.

15. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      It does sound like you might have something else going on than just regular tinnitus. Sucks that your GP wasn't able to help you much either.

However, I would try to find a reputable ENT in your area and try to get in and see them as soon as you can.

Make a list of your symptoms (keep them handy), book an appointment with an ENT, then request to have your hearing fully evaluated. There are a bunch of tests than can do to try figure out what's going on, these include: pure tone audiometry, tympanometry, acoutic reflectometry, OAE and a couple others I'm forgetting. If you haven't had an MRI since getting these new symptoms, might be wise to get another one but this is something you'd probably discuss with the ENT.

Either way I hope these symptoms end up being temporary and things return to normal soon, good luck!

16. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You need a doctor for MD diagnosis. And, unfortunately, lot´s of symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss, aural fullness, and vertigo for starters.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      @yonkapin I am phoning the doctor tomorrow I hope I get an appointment that day and refereed ASAP! It is Australia so hoping I don't have to be on the waiting list for months and months. In England I waited months and almost a year for my Therapy by then was too late to have it.

@MichaelM

Yeah I am very nervous is it is this because I could lose my hearing :( my TMJ disorder also has very similar symptoms as well.

18. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You should be fine finding someone who will see you this week, every ENT I've booked in to see has seen me within a couple days of calling them. If by some unlucky chance you get referred to an ENT with a long waiting list, maybe call around a few clinics and try to find someone who can fit you in sooner.

If possible, try to ask around (either using google, or asking a couple doctors) and see if you can get referred to a reputable ENT who specializes in tinnitus and other hearing disorders like an otoneurologist. I was unlucky enough early in my tinnitus journey to end up getting referred to a couple of dud ENTs who basically took my money and were of no help to me, after a bit of research though I was able to find someone really good so keep that in mind!

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Just annoys me with ENT's they think because they do a hearing test and thats ok that means there is nothing wrong and its frustrating, I have had problems with my ears forever and was told when I was 19 or 20 it was Jaw disorder after having my hearing test and that was fine, I then go to a facial clinic they were hopeless told me I clench my teeth, there is some wear and tear and my jaw is slightly of centre. I said could this be causing my tinnitus he said no?? I was like ok... its one of the top reasons on a tinnitus list, anyway back to ENT again and didnt get far. Wish I stayed in England for further treatment though because being in Australia has made is million times worse. I have always had problems with my ears since I was 3 after my operation for glue ear and since the jaw problems but not its been constant roaring seashell sound for a year now.

20. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Any dizziness or aural fullness?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I had Dizziness but that might of been because my Blood pressure drop otherwise no didn't have dizziness before my pressure. I do get some fullness yeah.

22. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mean dizzines for longer than 20 minutes? like on a boat in the storm? Just asking... MD seems to start like that for many. I am not a doctor. Aural fullness seems to be also a common starter.
      Or when talking on the phone sound is distorted? you could say robotic, also.
      Both ears or one?

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      In one ear and yeah some sounds sound robotic recently :(

24. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What you need now is a good ENT. someone who is actually interested in these problems. Not just someone saying "cope with it".
      And a good dentist too, for that TMJ.
      It´s scary not knowing why the sounds get distorted. I remember how i felt when it started for me.
      As long as you dont get hours-long-vertigo/dizziness attacks there is a good chance it is not MD.
      i recommend you read this: http://www.asha.org/aud/articles/menieres-disease-eval-management/
      one of the best Basics of MD -text i have seen.

25. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Doctor today seems to think it could be a possible Eustachian tube blockage for the recent changes in my ears, he also said my tonsils where swollen so gave me antibiotics for that, A strong Nasal spray called Avamys Fluticsone and Panafcortelone. He also refered me to a ENT and TMJ, the TMJ place is steroid injections which I have to have first before the Panafcortelone which is wedneday I go for that. Finger cross it all goes back to normal, he is hoping it all clears before I see an ENT. Otherwise lost for hope :( my ears or ear just keep popping, crackling, feel block and echo of my voice and sometimes others is annoying. Nose is always blocked too.

27. Dmitry
      Creative

Dmitry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I swear I had this too, there was some infection going around my town. I had similar symptoms - the popping, crackling, fullness in ear and I thought I lost my ability to taste food forever lol and it was pretty damn annoying. It will pass, don't worry about it too much:)

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Had a funny strange feeling today. Like a dizzy spell I had to sit down it lasted like a minute and was fine once I had a drink. My ears almost like Unblocked like someone had popped my head and let the pressure out, has anyone had this? Like a balllon being popped feeling? I felt like steam came out of my ears.

I was also standing and was for ages when it happened. Was very hot out and felt a bit sick.

29. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Was the world spinning? Rotation?

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      A little bit :( hope it's not MD never had this before in the 13 months of tinnitus. I did have a Tympanometry And hearing test 6-7 months ago showed no signs of it but waiting to be referred again. Pretty sure my life would be over if it's MD :( I can't cope with it. Already had glue ear lost my hearing and got it back, I don't want it again.

• Hug Hug x 2