Scared! Not Sure What Doctor to Go to First!

Discussion in 'Support' started by PatriciaErin, Oct 31, 2015.

1. PatriciaErin

PatriciaErin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The whooshing in my ear started a few months ago. Can't really even pinpoint exactly when/how. I remember sitting on the couch and it just started whooshing. I am an overweight female on birth control; I know both of those things can contribute. I'm going to change my lifestyle to lose some weight to see if it helps.

I'm honestly so scared about this and confused as to where I should start for a proper diagnosis. The whooshing goes away when I press on my neck under my ear. It's very concerning. It's starting to cause me horrible anxiety and depression. :( Hoping someone can offer insight.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Patricia,

I'm so sorry you're suffering with PT. I have PT, too, and I know what it's like. You're correct that both overweight and birth control pills could be factors in what is causing your whooshing. It would probably be good to go ahead and get checked out by a doctor, as yours sounds more likely to be a veinous condition. You might want to start with a neurologist or neurotologist, who might know more about pulsatile tinnitus than an ENT.

Yes, it is truly anxiety-inducing, and it can really help to know what is causing your condition. I've had PT for five years now, and had several tests, without a cause being identified. I'm hoping you'll have some success, if you can find a good doctor.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out Whooshers.com. There, you'll find a list you can print out to take to your doctor, to help explain your pulsatile tinnitus and some of the possible causes.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to get some answers soon!

Best wishes,
      Karen