Scared of noise now

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Nov 25, 2013.

1. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      @carol kane

Definitely check with a doctor regarding pain medications, but if you're just talking about minor pain you need something for occasionally, I still take advil. If you're taking a couple pills a month, I don't think it's a big deal. The problem comes when people take these medications with high regularity. If you're talking about a chronic pain you manage, then I would go ask your doctor and then do your own research regarding ototoxicity for whatever he/she recommends before taking it.

I would also, humbly, highly recommend acupuncture for pain management. I don't think acupuncture always helps tinnitus, but I have massive success with my severe, chronic back pain a few years ago. Many US insurance programs recognize the treatment for pain - so it is legitimate for that kind of condition and has been studied. Having no pain is way better than trying to figure out what med is better :)

Don't be afraid of your one beer. I was at first, too. I was afraid of salt, alcohol, starch etc. but in time I got a little braver and tried a beer here, or an espresso there. It made no difference for me. It might make a difference for you, but trying one beer will not permanently worsen your condition. If it makes it louder, then just don't do it again. You can live a more normal life than you think with tinnitus, don't let it get you too down, it just takes time to adjust!

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thank you so much for your welcome advice, i will research any meds given to me before i take them, i haven´t seen a doctor yet as i´ve just moved to Spain from the UK, so i will make an appointment tomorrow to see an ent person, this has hit me like a ton of bricks and it doesn´t help being in an unfamiliar place,and not really knowing anyone,but i have to be brave and deal with this cruel cruel hand i´ve been dealt. Thanks again.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      You are definitely being brave Carol! That you're here looking for answers and taking steps to go see a doctor shows that. I could barely get myself to a doctor when mine started I was in such a state.

Do go see an ENT (not sure how your t started), but do not be discouraged if he doesn't have much to say and don't count his word as law - they often don't know what to say about tinnitus. Just take all the information you get from anyone with a grain of salt and do your research.

Good luck with your visit!

• Like Like x 1
    4. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    5. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I remember over a year ago having ringing from time to time, but it never lasted for very long, and then it wouldn´t come back again for long periods so i never gave it much thought. Then two weeks ago my husband started drilling the walls and it was very loud, but again i didn´t pay that much attention to the loudness i just carried on with what i was doing, the next day my ears were fine, but the next day was when the loud ringing started, i think the drilling kick started it off, i can´t be sure but it seems likely.

6. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      awbw8: i totally agree with you. MIck try to stop drinking and see if over the counter sleep aid helps you to fall sleep.

7. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Mick- hope your cough is better. You can take cough suppressant and OTC Benadryl to sleep .sleep is must for us t sufferers .

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks Sean, i was awake all night with the cough so last night had a few beers and i slept soundly all night, so i am feeling better today, you are right about the sleep being important, lack of sleep makes everything 10 times worse.

9. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I feel for you mick ..when I was 26 all I wanted to worry about was going out and have fun with .
      I am sure your T will subside soon ..you need to just hang in there and we all are here for you and been in same exact boat as you .