Scientific Articles Disproving the Efficacy of Sound Therapy on Pain Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, May 6, 2021.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I need some scientific articles on how sound therapy has proven not to work on pain hyperacusis. Maybe even papers that state it can make it worse, which we know from experience it can.

Can anybody direct me to where I can find those scientific articles?

I need it so I can shove it in the faces of people that keep suggesting sound therapy as a treatment for pain hyperacusis.

2. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Hi @TheDanishGirl, you could go. to PubMed (international database for published med articles) and check on articles that contain the key words ''hyperacusis'', ''pain'' and ''sound therapy'' for example.

Just go to this link:
      https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Then go to ''advanced''

Type in the words that you find relevant (see pictures for example)... and presto (y)

Capture d’écran 2021-05-06 à 14.21.31.png

Capture d’écran 2021-05-06 à 14.22.19.png

Generally, most articles that I could find on sound therapy involves a generic concept of hyperacusis with barely any mention of ''pain'' or ''loudness''.

Here's one article (a review study) that I've found on the effects (or better yet: lack thereof) of sound therapy on hyperacusis:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31498009/

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      This is an article on NIHL. Loud noise produces physical damage to the cochlea, so sound therapy will not fix that:

Noise-induced hearing loss in the 21st century: A research and translational update