Scratched Outer Ear... And Then Tinnitus Spike and Pain and Spinning

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      So I had a horrific itch around my outer ear and decided to gently relieve it with a dulled pencil tip. Yes I know it's a really bad habit to put a pencil or sharp object anywhere near my ears but let me be clear that I never put the pencil directly *into* my ear canal.
      Anyway, so I applied a little bit of pressure just behind the tragus and the intertragic incisure. Then suddenly there was very loud tinnitus, throbbing pain, vertigo, and a bit of muffled hearing. God knows what I hit.

I know I did not hit the vagus nerve because it was out of the range of where I was applying the pressure and scratching. I did get very close to a TMJ trigger point, and my TMJ joint is inflamed due to the muscle tension. Other than that, IDK; was it a small artery that I nicked, part of the trigeminal nerve? Freaking out a bit here...

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm sure no permanent damage was done and hope you keep pencils away in future but easy said then done when we want to scratch a itch with something.
      If have any more vertigo I would get checked out.....lots of love glynis