Searching for my Tinnitus...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yellow Ledbetter, Jul 31, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Yellow Ledbetter
      Batty

Yellow Ledbetter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Hey,
      So I woke up this morning to silence......great! The only thing is I layed in bed trying to hear my T?! Does anyone else do this? or am I just a weirdo? (I would totally understand if it's the latter, since i've never been one of the normal ones). Even if i'm at work in the changerooms doing my make-up/getting changed, i'll stop and think "wait I can't hear my T, where is it?" then i concentrate to hear it, until I notice it again then it's back to business...... I actually got a bit frantic the other day when I couldn't hear it :eek:. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills :censored:! Anyway i'm sure one day i'll stop this strange phenomenon. Also does anyone notice their T is quieter in the morning? Sometimes i'll get like 10 seconds of silence when I wake up then....boom!

2. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I haven't noticed in any patterns to my T levels. Not in the mornings, not if I feel relaxed or at night. Sometimes it's lower but mostly it is louder, I have no idea what creates the difference. I guess if mine went totally silent I would automatic try to listen for it, I guess that's just human response. If you suddenly can't feel a shoulder pain you have been struggling with for a long time you would reach for the shoulder and think "wow, is the pain really gone?"

Ps: When I come to think of it I feel/perceive that my T level goes lower if I take a higher dose of sleep medication than recommended. I guess this gives a psychological effect, it generates a high that I don't think is healthy at all, so I try to stick with the recommended dosage the nights I use them.

3. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Deffo - I had a whole night where I didn't hear it - well maybe I did but I can't remember - I had an awesome fun day out with family and a fab night out a bit to drink and the night was 'peaceful' BUT on my bad nights where I toss and turn and when I wake up in the morning its there - at its loudest - annoying and its still there at 12.30 - 1am as sure as the sky is blue I wake up ....... to hear it !

It takes a while but somehow we have to STOP listening for it - I now 100% don't do this through the day - I used too - I would walk into a quiet bedroom and 'wait' for it - then yes - there it is - then we have to learn to ignore it again until distracted enough ......

Nights for me are the hardest - I feel envious of those who find it doesn't effect their sleep but then maybe it takes a bit more time.

A noise in your head that you potentially have to live with forever is a tough call and only others with it can ever begin to understand ! I often wish there was some way of 'showing' people this problem - but there isn't a scar or a wound to help them understand ! Its all in our heads and it effects us all the same yet differently !

What you describe is exactly how I felt a few weeks ago and I have now got 'used' to that early morning wait for the noise - boom - there it is ......... I used to get up straight away 5am at times and start the morning jobs around the house - now ...... I get up - make a coffee - put the TV on and chill a bit more - with annoying wining noise - but listen to the news and maybe drift off for another 30 mins..... or maybe just get up and get on with the day !

I hope you soon turn the next corner and start to 'stop' listening for it - you will I promise !

xx

4. aura

aura Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hi! i ve also experienced brief moments of silence in the morning, right after waking up, two or three times in the last year. Oh, and did i enjoy those moments!! 10 seconds of silence- i didn t move a bit, i was even afraid to breath!:) And than, the magic went away :(
      Anyway, the T is indeed quieter in the morning but only for a very short period of time.Thank god we don t hear it in our sleep! Although in the beginning, there were times when the annoying sound woke me up in the middle of the nigh, even though i was taking sleeping pills!

5. Zak
      Doubtful

Zak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/07/2013
      I do the same, thought I was abnormal too. :) Luckily, mine is just a consistent high pitched whistle that doesn't fluctuate in loudness that much. Hope I didn't just jinx it though! So far, I haven't not been able to hear it when I wake up, or maybe I'm just not noticing it.

6. Alxtan
      Approved

Alxtan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/2013
      I do that too. But sadly it's always there. Mine seems to be louder today and yesterday. I normally don't hear it in the living room but today I can totally hear it. I think it has something to do with me looking for it.

You're lucky yours is quiet in the morning. Mine is like a fire alarm in the morning and doesn't stop until I get up. God must be punishing me for all the times I slept in. He gave me a built in personal alarm clock.
      Oh it sucks at night too. Ever since I got T I hate going into my bedroom.

• Like Like x 1
    7. aura

aura Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Same here .. hate going to sleep! I find the refrigerator sound wery helpful in masking my T, even considered the idea of moving it in my bedroom!

8. Zak
      Doubtful

Zak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/07/2013
      It's really loud today, and it's especially worse in the mornings and evenings when I'm lying down.

9. Alxtan
      Approved

Alxtan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/2013
      Haha... I thought of that too. I actually took my iPhone and recorded my refrigerator humming for 20 minutes. I would play it in the bedroom at night. Ahhhh!... refrigerator hum like heroine for my ears.

• Like Like x 1
    10. aura

aura Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Each time i hear a new sound i start asking everybody around me..can you hear it too?or is it in my head?! i keep covering my ears to locate the source of sound like a maniac, changing my position, and than i m like..oh, it was comming from TV..thank God!

11. aura

aura Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Each time i hear a new sound i start asking everybody around me..can you hear it too?or is it in my head?! i keep covering my ears to locate the source of sound like a maniac, changing my position, and than i m like..oh, it was comming from TV..thank God!

• Like Like x 1
    12. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Hello Aura,
      I have done this many times at the very beginning of the T journey. You will find this will lessen as time goes by.Dont worry everything will get better.