Second Tinnitus Tone (Similar to Springs in Mattress Vibrating) When Sleeping?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dave555, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Dave555
      Alienated

Dave555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tools
      Hi all, I've got a second low wavering hum while sleeping now. The usual tone is consistent and high pitched, like a florescent light. The new tone at first sounded like the springs in my mattress vibrating... but I don't have a spring mattress. I wake up at 3am and it persists until I finally fall asleep again (as much as I can). I was using sound masking, on low volume, crickets or blue noise to mask the high tone. With the new tone, I've had to record a custom track with the addition of underwater sounds to simultaneously mask the low tone. Just wondering what might have caused this new tone???

For the past 4 days it's causing me to lose more sleep and making the tinnitus worse overall so it's like a bad spiral.

Actually, now that I have two tones it can take my mind off the other so it's not necessarily horrible. I still have moments of silence, sometimes. I work alone in a room that is almost silent, so I hear high pitched ringing most the day, as though it were a florescent light. But in the afternoon it sometimes goes away completely, or almost completely. Why is there no way to replicate those moments throughout the day and night?

I really want to train my brain to ignore it. My ENT told me to try to ignore it. I'm thinking maybe if I pretend the sound is coming from my knees, using the power of imagination. :dunno: Just a thought.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I notice low frequency hums that have something to do with blood circulating, and can change based on posture (and laying/standing -- I have mild orthostatic hypotension).

The cognitive hacks you're suggesting are not that crazy; many people employ such ideas to good ends. Ultimately, whatever tools are required to maximize your quality of life, should be used.

I find the low frequency hum "calming" compared to the high pitched insanity. Sometimes when I am trying to meditate and the high pitches are just going nuts, I try to find the low hum and use it as a "base" to sit my consciousness on, high pitched eeEEEEEE . BEEEP . eeeeCHIRP be damned....