Seemingly Random On/Off Tinnitus: I Can Go a Week without Having Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by LoganV, Dec 23, 2020.

1. LoganV

LoganV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey all, just wondering if anyone has any experience with tinnitus that seems to come and go randomly.

My tinnitus started earlier this year around June and was constant (every day) for about 2-3 months I think. It then seemed to shift into on again off again and that’s when I started a log of which days I have it and which days I don’t. I can go 6 to 8 days without it and then some days I’ll just wake up and it’s there all day. I went to my GP and he basically checked my ears and told me that it’s probably due to prolonged exposure to noises throughout my life of listening to music, going to & playing concerts.

I find it strange that I have long stretches of time that I go without it completely and then it just seems to pop up for one or two days at a time before eventually subsiding again. I’m extremely thankful that I do have periods of time that I go with silence but it just makes it all the more confusing for me. I’m experimenting with changing my diet by going gluten free and keeping a log of my eating habits to see if that could be effecting my tinnitus. I guess I’ll know for sure once I go a bit longer with that.

Thanks for any feedback in advance & sorry for the lengthy post lol.

2. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have you noticed that it gets worse at night? Many on here including me seem to have that problem.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LoganV

LoganV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine has pretty much remained at a constant low-ish volume (still hard to mask) but it doesn’t fluctuate much throughout the day and if it does, the change is very minute.

4. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      Here are some theories:

- Many folks with tinnitus have some high intensity days and some low intensity days. If your tinnitus is mild enough, then on the low intensity days it might be quiet enough to be inaudible. And then on your high intensity days, you hear it.

- Many folks find their tinnitus flares up in quiet environments. If you dare, on a day when your tinnitus “isn’t there,” you might go into the absolute quietest place you can find (e.g. a closet). After 15 minutes in that place, do you still hear nothing, or do you hear your tinnitus? If you hear it, then it’s clearly “still there” on those days.

• Like Like x 2