Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Can Cause Pulsatile Tinnitus and Is Linked to Anxiety

Discussion in 'Support' started by May86, Nov 1, 2023.

1. May86

May86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Untreated ear infection
      Upon having a middle ear infection I couldn't get anyone under the sun to help give me ear antibiotics for, I found out I temporarily had Semicircular Canal Dehiscence. It's where there's a thin hole or thinning of bone that doesn't correctly form over the Semicircular Canal in the ear.

So, this loop that's part of the ear pushes through the hole above the bone, causing a pulsating noise. I also found out that this dehiscence issue has, in some cases, been correlated with anxiety and possibly depression. I didn't know I had a hole on my right side, above the ear. Though the pulsatile tinnitus is no longer there, I now know such a medical condition could possibly be the reason for my increased anxiety over the years.

I just wanted to share this information in case others may have been having the same experiences, at least with anxiety. Though the surgery would require a head shave and a sliver of bone placed in the area that has the hole, I can't imagine how much that would cost to have done. :(

If it's a surgery I would need to have done, and could be done, and insurance would cover it, it would be better than having to continue to take medication to band aid the anxiety. If I had known sooner, that would've saved me so much time with different areas in my life. Though better late than never.

I wanted to share, in case someone hasn't considered to get a CT scan of your head, to see if maybe you may have a Semicircular Canal Dehiscence that's causing not only your pulsatile tinnitus, but also could be what's contributing to any anxiety you may have, too. I hope this helps. <3

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm certainly curious to hear more about this, as antibiotics are a typical treatment for middle ear infections, if bacterial of course.

Were you formally diagnosed with a middle ear infection by a doctor and denied any antibiotic treatment?

3. Maureen777

Maureen777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music w earbuds & recent ear irrigation
      Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I have. I had a CT scan done about a year ago, and they told me I have this: Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome. It's very annoying. I think that's why I have really bad hyperacusis. And also pulsatile tinnitus. I've just learned to live with it (sigh).

4. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Was the CT scan loud? I've been avoiding doing an MRI and/or a CT because of the loudness.

Did they tell you if anything can be done for this syndrome?

5. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      I thought there was surgery available for SCDS?
      I've had a couple in the past year, CT scans are relatively quiet and probably do not exceed 50 dB.

I have put off MRIs for a year but need to have one done in a couple of months.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Maureen777

Maureen777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music w earbuds & recent ear irrigation
      I’ve had an MRI before, and that was super loud! But the CT scan I had done was a bit loud, but nowhere near as loud as the MRI.

There is surgery that can be done apparently, but my ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctor said it’s kind of risky, because it’s near the brain. So I’m just kind of living with it now, and wearing hearing protection all the time when I go out. I hate it, but what can you do?
      There is surgery available apparently, but my ENT said it’s risky, because it’s near the brain.