Sensitive to Bass

Discussion in 'Support' started by ashlee, Dec 24, 2018.

1. ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have recently become really sensitive to low tones, especially bass in TV, music, and the running of our furnace at home. Is this normal hyperacusis activity, or something else? I’ve had hyperacusis in the past, and it did go away over time. I’m wondering if this is the same?

I’ve had tinnitus for four years now. I’ve habituated to it for the most parts. Still causes anxiety when it spikes or changes (especially with sickness), but I would say that I was actually doing quite well before this onset of hyperacusis (or so I believe).

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Is it pain/discomfort from noise, or do things sound amplified? or both?

Either way yes it is a type of hyperacusis.

Any known hearing loss?

History of noise exposure, loud cars, loud music, mp3 players?

Any medications that may have contributed to this?

TMD/jaw, cervical issues may also contribute.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No new medications, noise, etc. only thing has been stress levels have been a bit high (always have worse anxiety in winter). We also just moved into our new home, and I have two little ones so that’s also something to consider.

Does hyperaccousis usually resolve?

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Noise induced pain seems to be treatable by sound therapy, it may go away but no guarantees.

It certainly does have to do with hearing damage. Probably genetic hearing loss, unless you had a head trauma.

Stress alone will not cause tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Did your hyperacusis come back when your tinnitus got worse?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It didn’t always come back as hyperaccousis. Usually when I get sick, my tinnitus changes (usually get a hum) and it takes awhile to go away but always has. My regular baseline tinnitus is pretty bearable now that I’ve habituated. I don’t ever leave myself in quiet rooms, and I would say it’s quite quiet.

This recent onset is just sensitivity to bass. It doesn’t hurt my ears, I just can hear it more than “normal” ears would (personally feels loud or uncomfortable). The furnace bothers me most, but we also celebrated Christmas tonight and it was bothering me that I could hear bass in music, the TV, etc. Too many competing sounds. It then spikes my anxiety which I know spirals everything.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      okay that's loudness hyperacusis.

I had that problem months ago and it largely resolved.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks so much for your thought! I’m thinking/worrying that it may possibly be tinnitus. It’s a low rumbling that I notice most in my left ear only. Super bothered by it tonight. Man...I really hate this all.

8. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have bass frequency tinnitus and I also hear bass frequencies "louder". I believe for me it's hearing loss and recruitment (i.e. sound going from non-audible to loud faster than normally) that comes along with it, that makes certain sounds uncomfortable.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have you habituated yet? I would say I’ve habituated pretty well to my high pitched tinnitus, where I don’t hear mine throughout the day at all. I only notice it at night or when my head is on a pillow. This bass though, I hear that anywhere.

When I plug my ears, I don’t hear it at all, which is why I’m not sure what it really is, whether tinnitus or hyperaccousis.

I’ll be starting anxiety medication today to try to help the stress reduce a bit and end part of the cycle.

10. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @ashlee
      I find my low tones harder to deal with than higher pitched T. There's quite a lot of low frequency noise everywhere, and then the recruitment comes into play, and these sound won't blend into the background noise that well anymore.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just wanted to respond back that I’m doing a lot better with these noises. It’s not hurting my ears and I don’t hear them everywhere.

• Like Like x 3
    12. Claire1210

Claire1210 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ashlee hi sorry to jump on a old post was just wondering how you are doing with this now. I experience a low rumble/hum and can be sensitive to bass. Cars work my tinnitus up a treat. Was on antidepressants for 2 days but gave me morning fleeting tinnitus which I stopped just incase I was making it worse which I have heard can happen. Now just trying to keep busy and definetly not be in silence at all.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Claire,

I’m doing much better. That’s not an issue for me at all anymore. I do, however, still get tinnitus spikes (like today - first time I’ve been on here in awhile) which bother me. It’s usually induced when in a quiet room for too long and typically subsides after awhile. Just wish it was t existent at all - just like everyone else!! ☺️

14. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Have you tried salmon?

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, is that supposed to help?

16. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      The more I read through the forum (like the responses above) the more I realize how varied people's symptoms are, but I would think most sensitivity from H would be in the high frequency (it is for me). It's high frequency and percussive sounds (plates, drums, movies/TV with explosions).