Several years now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dalepa, Mar 30, 2014.

1. dalepa

dalepa Member

Several years ago I started hearing a low frequency noise, like a remote diesel engine and also high frequency sound. The engine hum was much worse at the time, so bad that it was effecting my sleep even with ear plugs in. No one else could hear the sound, so I just thought it was another form of tenitus.

I finally was able to use my phone app to detect a 37hz signal, and I'm pretty sure now it's from the oil field drilling about 4 miles away.

For the last year, the low frequency has subsided, however the high frequency sound at about 7900hz is louder than ever. I can use a tone generator at 7900hz to drown it out, but that's no solution...

I can effect the high frequency very slightly by biting down hard which cause a small increase in frequency.

Like others, if I ignore it I forget about it, but lately it seems to be getting worse.

I'm here, looking for a cure.

2. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      unfortunately, there's no cure at the moment but there are clinical trials.

it appears you live in the states, maybe you could enroll in VNS study ?

one of the locations is in texas.

3. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      come back in 2 years, there might be a cure then.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012

I hate to say it but it is always "5 years away"...:).... no matter how many years pass. the target date seems to be endless..not trying to be a downer.... just always seems to be right around the corner.. by then we should habituate.. I know I still have it but am starting to forget about it on a limited basis, but I don't feel as bad as I did in the beginning....

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      No Piper, this time its different. Before, they were just saying arbitrary numbers without any basis on current trials, just basing it on advancing technology.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Dalepa welcome to our site. You have come to the right place, when there is a cure, this site will be one of the places that will know. In the mean time browse around and see what the rest of us are doing, some are trying different meds, some like me use a masker to get by, run fans at night etc. You will see what others are doing as you browse....

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      The five year plan(s) are good. Most Executives' contracts are five years then Executive pay for lifetime, etc. Here in America people usually forget in 3 threes what the 5 year plan was. Quantitatively get paid up front forecast to the future. They seldom remember your forecast.
      On subject. I have T for 24 years. I've had a couple of relapses. Don't know how or why but I manage to habituate. I found my first defense is to get assists like sleep medications and anti-whatevers. It takes a while, not overnight, but I eventually adjust to where I say is ain't bad I can live with it. Then I do not think about it. I know it is there, but it becomes part of me. It is hard to explain unless one lives it. Currently waiting out another bad episode:(. There is no how did it come back? I wish I knew. I wouldn't do it again. To all god bless.