Share Your Experience of the VEMP (Vestibular Evoked Myogenic Potential) Test

Discussion in 'Support' started by FlatDarkEarth, Jul 2, 2022.

1. FlatDarkEarth

FlatDarkEarth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (2017)
      Who else has had the VEMP Test done for vestibular function/balance?

This was one of a battery of tests I had scheduled, and I had heard it was a loud test (120 dB), so I was going to pass. The audiologist reassured me they lowered their protocol there for safety, and it was 90 dB for 20 seconds in each ear.

I had the test done, it did not seem very loud in my ear and I did not have any immediate exacerbation of my tinnitus. Each time before I've had too loud noise + damage (like a concert) there is always near-immediate ringing.

I'm two days past the test now and my ears are ringing worse than normal, for sure.

I'm not sure if this is a delayed response, or a consequence of how my nerves have been lately (I was super, super nervous over the battery of tests), and also on Xanax at the time of the test.

Have you had one done and what was your experience? I don't see this test talked about much...

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FlatDarkEarth

FlatDarkEarth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (2017)
      Yes, they play loud sounds in your ear in pulses for 20-30 seconds to see if it has an effect on your balance system.

I was going to refuse this specific test at first, because it's usually done at 110+ dB for a long time, but she assured me it would go no louder than 90 dB for only 20 seconds...

DO NOT DO THIS TEST if your tinnitus bothers you. I don't know if it just flared it up, gave me additional noise damage or what, but it is not worth it. Don't listen to these assholes that tell you it's safe because it is not their risk and they simply do not care about YOUR tinnitus 99% of the time.

This test absolutely made me worse.

I also did the VNG test the same day where they irrigate your ear canal with hot/cold water - I can't imagine that helped either.