Sharp Instant Ring, Reacting to Certain Sounds/Movements. Please Help...!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jath, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Jath

Jath Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection
      Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome? Can you please help with an opinion?

Excuse my long post, but i am trying to present my case the best that i can.

Even if nobody can help, just one more person with similar issues, reading this i m sure they will feel they are not alone. Much unlike how i ve been feeling for a while now.

Symptoms are as follows:

High pitch instantaneous ring (more like a "zing") very metallic, around 12KhZ lasts for half a second.
      One ear only.
      50% or the time is triggered by a sound, 50% of the time by movement of jaw, neck etc.
      The times that it is triggered by a sound are usually when i am in a quiet environment.
      Sounds can be both external, usually very soft with either fast/sharp transients (light switch, mouse button click, etc), but also internal, rarely own voice, more often teeth hitting each other while chewing or scratching own head or swallowing. In both cases it does not always happen, one in 10 times a given sound will trigger it.
      It randomly comes and goes.
      Having the TV on does not bother me, but sounds that are direct, like talking or keyboard sounds, trigger it a lot more.
      It is usually fairly bad in the morning, subsides during the day, and builds up again in the evening with later hours (22:00 and after) being exceptionally difficult.
      Upon onset of the condition, at nighttime there was uncontrollable sudden rings, which would almost disappear when lying in bed on the opposing side.
      Often there might be a little bit of distortion in hearing, but very rare. Usually from sounds with strong 1-3 khz frequency information.
      Diagnosed inflammation of the Trapezius and Sternocleidomastoid muscles Lots of pain and discomfort, especially the part close to the base of the head. Often when i will squeeze them, the ring is activated.
      Eustachian tube dysfunction pre-existing, due to sinus infection-cold 2 years ago. Ears permanently click and swoosh during swallowing since onset of ETD, but no issues when flying at all.
      Sudden momentary volume drops on the problem ear, almost like an vacuum feeling next to the problem ear
      Long time anxiety disorder, that has skyrocketed due to this condition.
      TMJ disorder that has become an issue with muscle pain occasionaly in the past 8 months.Hyperacusis on the probelm ear is present, whereas the other ear is not affected by loudness at all.
      Very occasional "pops" during the worse days of the symptoms, as rare as 2-3 during the day, for a few days only.
      I do not have any fluttering noises or hard clicks.
      Extensive hearing tests, tympanography have been consistent with pre-crisis values, MRI came out clean.
      Anti inflammatory drugs (lornoxicam), seem to really help, as do muscle relaxants, but the later promote feeling of fullness during their action.

My ENT suggest there is a direct link to my TMD and the neck muscles, but has not mentioned the possibility of TTS or any of the middle ear muscles spazming, being a possible cause. Up until now i feel like everyone thinks i m a bit crazy. I often feel like doctors really dont even understand what i am describing, and classify it under general "tinnitus" and throw their hands up in the air, but i know this is something else, because i have very low tinnitus which i ve fully habituated to, and this is NOTHING like that.

Anyone have any advice, experience with something similar? Any opinions?

Thank you for your time, and take care everyone.

Jay

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Hmm, I wish I had a proper answer for you @Jath but I definitely have something similar to you, although it only happens occasionally, and only in my left ear. My T will act up, and "react" to certain sounds with a high-pitched ring that stops when said sounds do. This includes my own voice. My ear also feels "tight" when this happens, for lack of a better way to describe it. I've never been properly diagnosed, but do believe I have TMD and THE as you do, as well. Again, sorry I can't give you a proper answer or help, but you aren't alone. ☺