Short Drops in Hearing without Triggers

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ben Winders, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I have 15 dB loss in left ear at 4000 Hz which is considered as being a result of hearing damage, but it is still considered as normal hearing > no hearing loss.

I have a constant shhhhhhhh tinnitus sound (electrical buzz?) in that ear since my acoustic accident that probably caused the 15 dB dip.

Now - the thing I want to ask about today is. Sometimes I just sit in front of my laptop, watching a show on Netflix... normal volume, not too loud. And all of a sudden the hearing in my left ear "cuts out" (a bit) as if the speaker on the left is suddenly broken.

It only lasts for a couple seconds... no loud beep afterwards (so it's not the typical fleeting tinnitus: ear clogged followed by loud beep).

Anyone else has this?

The fleeting tinnitus I have been having my entire life, since I was a kid and everyone seems to have it, but the "cutting out" has only started happening since my acoustic trauma.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yes, I get this and if what I read here from others who have reported it, it's not uncommon and more importantly doesn't seem to lead to anything serious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I get this - my hypothesis is it is a super low volume fleeting tinnitus that presents as lack of sound, but that's just my own experience.

4. CB7x

CB7x Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had mild intermittently noticeable tinnitus for years, but this year it got much worse after a few incidents of loud noise exposure, so maybe a similar background. No idea on hearing loss data as government where I live has ensured I have no access to healthcare in their draconian response to coronavirus. I think my hearing loss is mostly above 8 kHz though and fairly minimal below that, tinnitus frequency is closer to 9100 Hz. I could be totally off as I adjust to things though.

In my bad ear I sometimes get a sort of deep and rapid pulsing like a spasm, it sounds like if you were to lightly tap on a speaker cone. It's followed by tinnitus getting louder then fading to a heavenly but brief silence (seconds at most). It's true silence, no perceived ringing at all. This usually happens at work which is a quiet environment, I have not noticed if I can (or cannot) hear anything at all out of that ear when it does that. I don't recall my better ear ever doing that, but tinnitus is mild in my better ear.

5. Elle35

Elle35 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound Induced
      I too get moments where I cannot hear out of one of my ears... it can be a bit alarming, naturally ... but the sound returns usually in 3-10 seconds. Hoping it’s not a sign of more tonal losses.

6. guenguer

guenguer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss 2004/12/14/15
      I'm experiencing the same thing, quite often lately. It's frightening and a very weird feeling. As you said, it's totally different than fleeting tinnitus. Worse actually.