Should I Take Methylprednisolone? Tinnitus Started on December 26th...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eazeyo, Jan 8, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Eazeyo

Eazeyo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      I got tinnitus 12/26... I think because my headphones had boosted high frequencies I didn't know about.
      Ringing in ears, sensitivity to sound, muffled sensations, pressure fluctuations, etc.
      saw an ent a few days ago and they said I had slight hearing loss in left ear at 4hz. Also prescribed me methylprednisolone.

I was going to start immediately but my house in New Orleans got robbed and I had to travel and didn't wanna deal with side effects while I was down there.

So now I'm back up north and the T has gone down since the onset.
      It really doesn't bother me now and is fairly quiet-- only detectable in very quiet settings.

Is there still a benefit to taking the tapered 6 day course of methylprednisolone?
      I wouldn't mind completely curing my tinnitus but not at the risk of awful side effects or making it worse.

I'm a musician- my hearings important to me and I've decided to wear earplugs and shun headphones!

What do you guys think? Has the window of this drugs efficacy for me passed?

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Were it offered to me within a similar time window I'd take it.

3. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      The medication is for inflammation and for some it helps to reduce a tinnitus spike or early onset of tinnitus due to loud sound with in the first two weeks of tinnitus.

The medication won't cause a problem on a short course and might feel full of energy and usually taken in the morning as can keep you awake .

If you are coping already and not hearing your tinnitus hardly you might not notice any benefit from taking them but it's got to be your decission ......lots of love glynis

4. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      The potential benefits of a short course of prednisone far outweigh the side effects. It is best taken in the first 48 hours after trauma however so don't expect any miracles.

If not there is always the AM-101 trial. http://tinnitus-study.info

5. Thericker

Thericker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2010
      I took it a month after mine started. Still did wonders for me. I'd say yes