Should I Take Prednisone After a Rack Full of Barbells Fell Off the Wall and Made a Massive Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by orbiter12, Jan 6, 2018.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      Was in the gym and on the wall they have a rack full of barbells.

The entire rack fell off the wall which made a massive smashing noise with all the metal bars smashing off each other and I was about 4 metres away.

I have about 15-20 prednisone pills on hand.

Should I take them asap? I hate the side effects but my hearing feels different (anxiety?). But my tinnitus is definitely louder.

Also I'm supposed to be going out drinking tonight and the side effects of prednisone are unbearable for me, but then again so is debilitating tinnitus for the rest of my life.

I feel my anxiety for loud noise has gone and I've been exposed to things in the past such as motorcycle driving past, dogs barking, people shouting, etc and it doesn't really make me monitor my tinnitus or rush for steroids but this was seriously loud.

2. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I think, it's not worth it yet. You can wait, look at the reaction .. I was subjected to a terrible, unpleasant noise 2 days ago - the iron lid of the pan fell on the iron plate. my noise went crazy. I can not live 2 days. I took nac and vitamins, as well as sedatives. Prednisolone lies with me. but I do not believe at all that it helps ..

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I were you, I would take them. The recommended dose is 1 mg per 1 kg of body weight up to a max of 60 mg daily.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      Took 40mg, to reduce side effects...

If it's still bad tomorrow I'll take 60mg. I weigh 85kg.

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Worth trying - it's not like we have many other options

Make sure you also take a proton pump inhibitor as it's very hard on the stomach

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sounds good. The standard course is 14 days + tapering. But when I was in situations similar to yours, if I remember correctly I took prednisone for 2-3 days, until the time when the spike would be over.