Should I Take Prednisone After New Sound Exposure? Is It Appropriate in This Case?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zinnia, May 30, 2017.

1. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Two nights ago I was at a restaurant for approx 2 hours with approx 75 decibel sounds of talking and music. Stupidly I didn't wear an earplug!!!! Now I'm paying for it with 2 T increases! It increased after being in restaurant w/ ear pain also, but last night at 3am it increased again in volume and the tone/texture changed to static high-pitched.

OMG I'm just so stupid to have not worn a earplug. I'm hoping of course this is just a spike, but am thinking maybe I should take prednisone. My initial ear injury was about 6 weeks ago and I took pred then and think it may have helped.

I don't know if pred is appropriate to take now though?
      Did I suffer another trauma from restaurant noise or is this from hyperaccusis? I have appoint w/ my Dr today and want to give him the best info I can...

Do you think the pred can help now? I just don't understand the mechanisms behind this increase from 75 decibels. Because I have H, maybe 75 did do more cochlear hair damage?

Any thoughts would help... it's all too much. I'm so lost.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Did you measure 75 decibels on an app or is that your own estimate? If you measured it, how loud was it at its loudest? Was there live music or loud music played, or just a lot of people in a same space chatting? Even the last option can cause surprisingly high decibels, though.

This is just my view on this and no one really knows for sure... But I think since your acoustic trauma is so very new at 6 weeks, you should really just avoid altogether anything too noisy. I know you can't change what happened, but you can prepare in future. Your ears are in a delicate healing phase - ears can heal somewhat, but it is a slow process and when they are damaged, you need to be cautious. I would make a plan for at least the next 6 months to stay away from loud places and use earplugs at even 75 dB. I got my loud T back in last September and my ears still cannot handle volumes as they did before that particular acoustic trauma. I have had serious setbacks from going to movies (with earplugs!) and dental work. I think it goes to show that sometimes ears and hearing just remains quite fragile for a looooooong while.

In addition to this, you could boost your ears' defences by taking NAC, magnesium and vitamins (multivitamin, vitamin C, vitamin B complex...), perhaps ginkgo or L-carnosine as well. There is contradictory opinions whether these supplements make a big difference, but at least you would be providing the hearing system a steady stream of nutrients that help it to repair itself and handle acoustic stress.

When it comes to Prednisone... Really difficult to say. What dose and for how long did you take it 6 weeks ago? Did it help? Did you have side effects? Spikes are common and it is hard to tell which one is temporary and how to know it's not. For me temporary spikes have been a straight-forward increase in volume, while the more serious setbacks have caused a new tone or a big change in pitch as well. In other words, it has felt like a completely new kind of T. I'm not sure if this is actually a good measurement of temporary and permanent spikes, just trying to reflect on my own experience so far. Anyway, Prednisone is a really potent drug... I consider it quite dangerous - at least if taken often or for a long time. Therefore it is really all about weighing out the pros and cons; if you are sure you have a new serious acoustic trauma from the restaurant, with severe changes in T... Maybe it could be worth it. If you are sure the decibels did not exceed 75 dB and anxiety/stress might be causing the spike, then maybe not. I wish I knew, but you (and qualified doctors specialized in T) are the only one who can critically assess the situation.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      It was measured on a smartphone and now I think that it was a low reading. Because of the way a new decibel meter I just bought is reading, I now think the restaurant sounds could have been around 90 easily (which makes me more worried!) People were talking and there was music but not live. I think the acoustics were not great though.

I think you're right in saying I need to take it very easy on my ears for a long time. I do have a variety of earplugs and normally wear them when needed but I think I was feeling overly confident Sunday eve. Damn!! I'm so mad at myself!! My ear is still ringing louder and having a lot of odd sensations too. I will not take that kind of chance again... I honestly have felt a little confused at some of the advice from people because they say not to overprotect in order not to develop or worsen hyperacusis. But now, based on how my T has changed since the restaurant I think really need to overprotect!!

The setbacks that you've had... you said you were wearing earplugs... do you know how many decibels they blocked? Just curious.

Thanks for the supplement advise... I'm taking most of the stuff you mentioned, and more. I'll do anything...

For the pred, I took it before approx 50 mgs for a week (and a lesser dose for longer before and after.) I think it may have helped but I'm not 100% sure. I do understand how dangerous of a drug pred is... but if it could help, I'm willing to take the risks. I hear you... not knowing if it's a temporary spike or permanent from more damage...I just don't know. I do know though that is not from stress, it's an obvious change in volume and sensations. One question too that I can't really find the answer to is whether having hyperacusis (and noise-induced T) allows people to suffer additional cochlear damage from lower decibels of sound... sounds that wouldn't harm healthy ears.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response :) What you wrote about the differences between temporary spikes and more serious ones was interesting too. Gives me hope because I feel like things haven't changed tonally.

I wish you the best :)

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I'd say take it
      You may regret it later
      Not much downside

For a one week course at 60mg this is pretty safe unless you are diabetic or have underlying infections

I have a stock of prednisone at home I take 60mg for 3 days if I feel like I was exposed to loud noise

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I just compared new decibel meter to smartphone meter app and they are wayyyyy different! And not in a good way!!! The smartphone was reading approx 15 decibels lower than the handheld meter. So, based on that, the loudness in restaurant was around 85-95 decibels. Two hours of that and I now I feel I've really done harm.

I am going to take the pred. My doctor prescribed it - 60 mgs for 7 days. I may not take it for an entire week though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      And that's exactly what he prescribed. Do you feel like the pred "bursts" help you w/ exposures?

7. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I think it does help

It's the only major treatment we have - it would be silly to not use it

It's not like we have many other options

For me the only side effect is sleep issues but it's a very small and temporary price to pay