Should I Try Hearing Aids Two Months After the Onset of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JT2020, Jul 21, 2020.

1. JT2020

JT2020 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Ear Wax, Congestion
      Hello all,

I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis for 2 months, unilateral, in one ear. This ear also has significant hearing loss due to ETD (chronic) and perforated ear drum (4 years ago).

I believe my tinnitus began as a noise induced trauma from earbuds. I also had a large piece of wax removed shortly after tinnitus started in the same ear.

My question is should I try using hearing aids at this stage or wait??

My tinnitus has improved the last 4 weeks. It's noticeably quieter than it was the 1st 3-4 weeks. My hyperacusis has also improved I think, but I keep volume of TV low and wear plugs in loud environments (like supermarket).

My audiologist has me following up with him in another 4 weeks from today. I did find one study on effect of hearing aids on tinnitus from a doctor (PhD) from University of Iowa.

Any comments/insight would be appreciated!

image0.jpeg

2. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      Hearing aids work for those who have moderate hearing loss because the way it works is that it amplifies background noise, which is like sound masking. You should definitely try the hearing aids if you have some hearing loss. Ask for ones that give 30 day free trial and see if it helps. If so, petition for insurance or pay out of pocket in the worst case.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JT2020

JT2020 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Ear Wax, Congestion
      Thank-you Thuan!

4. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      My tinnitus was caused by eustachian tube infection plus hearing loss due to infection. Hearing test done 3 times by different audiologists. All showed loss of high frequencies. Hearing aids were suggested so I spent 2000 euros for them. They have a white noise app with them. I have that app on most of the days I'm out. And it works take the mind off the damn ringing.

• Like Like x 1