Should You Listen to Any Rock Music When You Have Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by exguitar, Jan 26, 2020.

1. exguitar
      Depressed

exguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm going into my fourth month of 24/7 tinnitus, which is still intrusive most of the time. I have some quiet or barely audible moments very early in the morning when waking up and at first when I get up. Usually after breakfast, but today it was actually lunch, the volume increases.

My question is - I miss music terribly... I have listened to some but even at very low volumes it has given me spikes. I have very large floor speakers connected to an amp and CD player and computer that I am about to just put away / sell. I was thinking of getting a mini silent PC and hooking smaller PC speakers to listen some (because my tower PC makes a fan noise I cant stand).

I realize I am probably lucky the tinnitus is probably relatively moderate even though it is 24/7 -- although it does spike and get intrusive. I'd like to think it maybe has diminished some in intensity since I first posted here in November 2019.

My question is - is listening to rock music like Rush, Yes, Led Zeppelin, just a bad idea with tinnitus and with the fact I am still hoping for a miracle that it resolves or goes away?

My tinnitus initially came on after fast taper from Klonopin, and then full on 24/7 in early October after a round of Levaquin and a day (about 4 hours) of cranking the stereo loud / heavy rock.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try it for five minutes (less?). If you don't get a spike the next day, increase the time that you spend listening to music, and repeat.

Having said this, if you aren't prepared to "do the time" if you get unlucky and it backfires, don't "do the crime."

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      My tinnitus gradually increased and then got Hyperacusis over two year period probably as didn’t rest my ears. I think you stand a better chance of full recovery if you don’t listen to rock as you keep getting spikes which isn’t a good sign. Actually some sounds my fragile ears do struggle with like drums

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      exguitar
      Depressed

exguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the advice, Bill & Sash. I will take those recommendations seriously. Drums do bother me. I always liked Phil Collins/Genesis - when I got this tinnitus problem, I realized how hard he hits the drums. I have been listening to the Easy Listening station on TV - at least I can hear some tunes without the drums and with speakers without much push.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Listening to any genre of music is fine as long as you keep the loudness in check.

• Agree Agree x 4
    6. Bill Arsenault

Bill Arsenault Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Permanent/Highly intrusive since 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Over Exposure. Worsened by ototoxic Street Drugs/Meds.
      Yeah. Phil’s ears are trashed bad.
      You can usually tell the musicians with severe tinnitus- meek, nervous wrecks with bags under their eyes and just a shell of the person they used to be.
      Tinnitus is a raw deal man.

7. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You listed some of my favourite bands there. I couldn't listen to them for several months after getting severe tinnitus and hyperacusis. Now that the hyperacusis has eased somewhat, I gradually started to listen to them again, often with earplugs even though I'm keeping the volume sensible. Sometimes it's hard not to crank it like I used to, but I'm also discovering other genres of music like ambient and classical. Keep it to no more than 20 minutes at a time. Your ears will quickly tell you if they need a rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      The music that gave me tinnitus was the very music I couldn't listen to after getting tinnitus. Like you and others, I listened to soft ambient music such as New Age to get me through the rough times. It was actually a godsend as I'll always need music in my life.

• Agree Agree x 1