Sightseeing in London with Tinnitus: What Precautions to Take?

Discussion in 'Support' started by all to gain, Oct 18, 2019.

1. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      My oldest son wants to go to London to sightsee. This means a long train journey and then lots of hopping on and off of the London underground, which has noise levels of over 100 decibels.

What precautions should I take? I can't have him missing out on seeing London.

Taking precautions wouldn't have even occurred to me 4 months ago, but now I live in a very different world.

2. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Foam plugs, ear muffs... and a calm attitude. Regent's Park... flowers. British Museum... art.

Both free.

3. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      hello mate, I’d genuinely consider getting an uber. I work in London and have been sight seeing with the wife. I’ve used double protection, but on the underground it still didn’t feel like enough. When the trains brake in places there’s this shrill noise which is awful. The windows are also often open. The wife and I were meant to go 3 stops. I lasted one and got off and paid for an uber.

you might be ok, but this was my experience.

(The sound measured 106db on phone app as the train was braking. I was also sat in the middle of the carriage away from the open windows.)

4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I think the uber, or a car rental to get around makes sense.

I would plan on earplugs when out and about in unfamiliar surroundings, not knowing where the noises to avoid are. Also think about earplugs if getting there by airplane.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Man, it all sounds like a nightmare. The fun taken out of life.

At some point I'm going to have to get to Heathrow airport. Always did that by going on the underground from London X.

6. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I think the central line is supposed to be the worst, especially the city centre sections - my sister rides this line most days and says she has to cover her ears at times (she does not have tinnitus) - the less central parts of the system such as Heathrow line are nowhere near as loud.